This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Question on Galilaian dialect

Discussions concerning the New Testament

Question on Galilaian dialect

Postby TR » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:48 pm

I'm not sure I understand this and would like some input please. During Christ"s ministry, I read Galilee was described as a Province. Is a Province a Country basically? I believe it was ruled over by Herod, whereas Judea and Samaria under Romans?
Mat 26:69 And Petros sat outside in the court, and one servant girl had come forth to him saying “You also were with Yahshua the Galilaian! Then Petros voice also gave him away.
Then in John 4, Then the Samaritan woman says to Him: 'You being a Judaean,....
Were Galileans considered Judeans? It seems she identified Christ as a Judean, but the Judeans Called Him a Gallilean. I probably don't understand the situation and need some help. Thanks.
TR

Re: Question on Galilaian dialect

Postby wmfinck » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:30 am

Under the Romans, there were Senatorial Provinces, which belonged to the people, and the men sent to administrate them were appointed by the Senate. Then there were Imperial provinces, which were controlled by the emperor and he appointed the governors of those provinces. Then there were kingdoms, which were under a king who was given his dominion by Rome, so he was subject to Rome, but who had much greater autonomy and ruled at his own whim within the bounds of the kingdom, so long as he kept the Romans happy.

The status of a given area could change under particular circumstances. For instance, all Judaea was a kingdom under the first Herod. But his son, Herod Archelaus, was so bad and the people became so resentful that the Romans had to depose him and make Judaea a province. Then they split it into 4 pieces, and appointed four other descendants of Herod to be Tetrarchs (rulers of a fourth) under Roman administration. That was more or less a political compromise.

Some time later, two of those quarters, Galilee and Perea, were given to another of the first Herod's sons, Herod Agrippa I, as a kingdom. That was a gift from the emperor, as Judea was an Imperial province under the emperor's control. I think even then, perhaps, the Senate rubber-stamped it.

So for a time, Galilee and Perea were a separate kingdom under Herod Agrippa I, and Judaea and Samaria remained under the Roman governor appointed by Caesar. That was the circumstance at the time of the ministry of Christ.

When Herod Agrippa I died (Acts chapter 12), I believe at first that those provinces reverted for a time to the control of the Roman governor of Judaea, and after awhile his son, Herod Agrippa II (Acts 25 & 26) was awarded his father's kingdom.

So under the Romans, kings ruled at the leisure of Rome, and a kingdom was really just a political reward.
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby TR » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:51 pm

Thanks for the reply Mr. Finck. That sheds some light on it for me. I will look into it more. I am thinking the dialects can be compared to each other probably the same way in the US our northerners and southerners sound different. I was wondering why the Samaritan woman thought Christ was a Judaean if he spoke like a Galilain.
TR

Postby wmfinck » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:04 pm

From Numbers chapter 15: "38 Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of the borders a ribband of blue: 39 And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring: 40 That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God."

Evidently, because the Judeans do seem to have been able to identify one another on site, they were keeping some of the laws governing their apparel. So in Mark 6 and Luke 8 we see references to the border of a garment.
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby TR » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:17 am

Wow. There's just so much. Thanks again.
TR

Postby Staropramen » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:16 am

Here in hymie-town you see many of the edomites with these fringes. :roll:
"If God is a Jew then the only thing left for us to do is commit suicide"
-Dr. Wesley A. Swift
Historical Recordings of interest to Christians;
http://historicalrecordings.net/
Staropramen

Postby brucebohn » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:05 pm

Staropramen wrote:Here in hymie-town you see many of the edomites with these fringes. :roll:

Yes Staro, I noticed this in the past and was curious
as to the significance. Thanks fellows..
"Do you not know that with those running in a race,while all run,
but one takes the prize? In that manner you run, in order that you shall obtain."
1Cor. 9:24
brucebohn

Return to New Testament Discussion