This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Country Music

Re: Country Music

Postby wmfinck » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:26 pm

This may be arguable, but American country music comes from folk and bluegrass, which are themselves descended from Celtic folk music, and the lines between the genres are often quite blurry. So yes, the jig (and probably square) dancing are also related. There are many Scot and Irish settlers throughout the mountains of Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia and the surrounding mountain states.

More Bluegrass, as among my favorites are Allison Krauss and Union Station, although the Soggy Bottom Boys (and perhaps Travis Tritt) actually made this particular song quite popular:

If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby Gaius » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:00 pm

American country music comes from folk and bluegrass, which are themselves descended from Celtic folk music,

Believe that's an accurate statement for the most part, Bill.

Meantime, here's Gid Tanner/Skillet Lickers

Patsy Cline/Willy Nelson

And one for all hippie visitors :D

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
(Romans 8 v 31)
Gaius

Postby Joe » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:07 am

Ha, I already saw that hippy one Gaius ...I didn't like it. A little confusing too, for someone who drew a distinct line between hippies and country folk.

I liked this one though.
...and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Joe

Postby Les » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:29 pm

i like some country, like Hank Williams, David Allan Coe, etc, and especially Dwight Yoakam, as he reminded me of somebody I used to love watching on TV with my parents every Saturday night on "Hee Haw"

Buck Owens - I've Got A Tiger By The Tail

Les

Postby Gaius » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:00 pm

Joe wrote:Ha, I already saw that hippy one Gaius ...I didn't like it. A little confusing too, for someone who drew a distinct line between hippies and country folk.

You make a good point there, Joe. When "Okie from Muskogee" came out, it was seen by everyone I knew as a rebuke against hippies (why I posted it with that caption), but I watched a few YT versions and there was a definite impression he was almost mocking his own lyrics. This leads to yet again for me anyway a question as to the sincerity of these superstars as against what will sell commercially ...

Folks tell me Country music today has mainly degenerated to p.c. mush/drivel and the inclusion of big drum-sets/amplified guitars and the exclusion of piano, harp, mandolin etc has accelerated its now near demise. I'd tend to agree with this opinion of a genre that gets more irrelevant (unless you're a marxist) by the day, at least in the commercial mainstream ...

Here's a few more from back in the day --

Benny Williams/fiddle

Bill Monroe (that BW sings about)

Stanley Brothers
What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
(Romans 8 v 31)
Gaius

Postby Staropramen » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:33 pm

My favorites;

Maddox Brothers and Rose
Daisy Mae & Old Brother Charlie
Stringbean
W. Lee O'Daniel and His Hillbilly Boys
Light Crust Dough Boys
Wanda Jackson
Skeets McDonald
Johnny Cash

more to come
"If God is a Jew then the only thing left for us to do is commit suicide"
-Dr. Wesley A. Swift
Historical Recordings of interest to Christians;
http://historicalrecordings.net/
Staropramen

Postby EzraLB » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:40 am

I've got to include Jimmy Martin in this list--early on he played with Bill Monroe, and it was Martin who introduced the "high lonesome" sound to Monroe. The young Elvis Presley was a big fan of Jimmy Martin, who was quite the showman himself--in fact, it was Martin's signature "hip shake" that Presley emulated when he eventually took the stage himself.

Here he is singing "When The Savior Reached Down For Me"

"No Rothschild is English. No Baruch, Morgenthau, Cohen, Lehman, Warburg, Kuhn, Kahn, Schiff, Sieff or Solomon was ever born Anglo-Saxon. And it is for this filth that you fight. It is for this filth that you murdered your Empire. It is this filth that elects, selects, your politicians." -- Ezra Pound
EzraLB

Postby Staropramen » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:11 pm

+1 on Jimmy Martin!
"If God is a Jew then the only thing left for us to do is commit suicide"
-Dr. Wesley A. Swift
Historical Recordings of interest to Christians;
http://historicalrecordings.net/
Staropramen

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:09 am

I concur, that has to be one of my favourites so far, the lyrics and wow can he sing, his voice really suits the song. Really moving piece.

Thanks for sharing Ezra.
...and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Joe

Postby wmfinck » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:59 pm

Wow, but the hat.

If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Previous

Return to CI Music & Poetry