This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Advice on Multivitamins???

Gardening, Homesteading & Other Wholesome Topics

Advice on Multivitamins???

Postby Teutonic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:36 pm

Firstly: are they necessary for good health, or should you avoid them if you already have a good diet?

Second: what's a good men's multivitamin to take daily?

I did some routine bloodwork the other day and everything came back normal, except my doctor asked if i was taking any multivitamins, I said I take a GNC men's multivitamin and she recommended I stop- apparently my vitamin B6 levels were WAY too high. As it turns out, the vitamin pack I was taking had 2500% of your daily value of vitamin B6! A friend of mine said he even experienced dizzy spells when taking the same multivitamin, which makes me wonder if they're really as necessary as we're led to believe...
Duty, Honour, Sacrifice.
Teutonic

Re: Advice on Multivitamins???

Postby EzraLB » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:14 am

Teutonic wrote:Firstly: are they necessary for good health, or should you avoid them if you already have a good diet?

Our ancestors got along in fine health without multi-vitamins up until the last 100 years or so. They were in better health than we are. I've seen no evidence that taking a daily vitamin--comprised of synthetic versions--will improve your health.

Why are synthetic vitamins ineffective? Well, they use a natural vitamin as a template, so that their version is a mirror image of the original. Even though it's exactly the same chemically, its orientation is wrong, and thus the body has trouble recognizing it. There are more absorbable versions of vitamins, but you have to do your research.

There are all natural, food-based vitamins, but they are expensive, you have to take a lot of them to get your RDAs. Yes, our soils are depleted from over-farming, and our food doesn't have the nutrition content that it used to. But getting your proper vitamins and minerals from food is always your best bet, and that means generally eating organic foods that you prepare yourself.

People generally don't properly utilize the food that they do eat--something like 70% of adults have problems absorbing their food, leading to nutritional deficiencies. Over the age of around 40, adults produce less digestive enzymes, making it harder for your body to break down what you eat. Taking a digestive enzyme with each meal can greatly help you utilize the food you do eat--and they are available at GNC and other vitamin shops.
"No Rothschild is English. No Baruch, Morgenthau, Cohen, Lehman, Warburg, Kuhn, Kahn, Schiff, Sieff or Solomon was ever born Anglo-Saxon. And it is for this filth that you fight. It is for this filth that you murdered your Empire. It is this filth that elects, selects, your politicians." -- Ezra Pound
EzraLB

Postby Nayto » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:32 pm

Just eat nutrient rich foods. Red meat, liver, butter, eggs and vegetables (particularly greens). I eat a lot of blackstrap molasses and raw cocoa as well which are both high in minerals.

It's tough to make a change in diet overnight. Just make gradual changes. Go visit the farmers markets and see what they have going there.
Nayto

Postby Teutonic » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks for the info brethren, I think a digestive enzyme may be my best bet. Luckily I have alot of organic food markets around my area, but organic food isn't exactly cheap either....

My diet is pretty solid, the only additions I'd like to make is eating more fruits and veggies. I just switched my morning coffee to an organic, so I guess it's a start.
Duty, Honour, Sacrifice.
Teutonic

Postby Nayto » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:48 pm

Teutonic wrote:Thanks for the info brethren, I think a digestive enzyme may be my best bet. Luckily I have alot of organic food markets around my area, but organic food isn't exactly cheap either....

My diet is pretty solid, the only additions I'd like to make is eating more fruits and veggies. I just switched my morning coffee to an organic, so I guess it's a start.

In many cases fruit are just globes of water held together by fiber and sugar. More often than not, vegetables are superior in terms of micronutrients. There are exceptions though.

Don't focus too hard on "organic". A lot of the time there are loopholes around the certification and you're actually no better off in spite of having paid 50% more for the item. As I said, your best bet is buying directly from farmers at their markets. Buying from farmers is great because they sell it to you for more than if they sold it to retail and you buy it for cheaper than if you bought it from retail. I buy all my meat, butter, milk and eggs and most of my vegetables from farmers and I save money that way and get good produce. They don't have the official certification, but it doesn't actually matter.

With coffee I'm not sure what the situation is in the USA, but you should try to find some craft roasters. Usually their coffee isn't certified, but you can talk to the owners and find out where it comes from. Most of the time if you're not buying Starbucks grade coffee you're doing okay. I'm quite fortunate in the city I live in there are many craft roasters so the choice of coffees here is large.
Nayto

Postby Teutonic » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:00 pm

Nayto wrote:
Teutonic wrote:Thanks for the info brethren, I think a digestive enzyme may be my best bet. Luckily I have alot of organic food markets around my area, but organic food isn't exactly cheap either....

In many cases fruit are just globes of water held together by fiber and sugar. More often than not, vegetables are superior in terms of micronutrients. There are exceptions though.

Don't focus too hard on "organic". A lot of the time there are loopholes around the certification and you're actually no better off in spite of having paid 50% more for the item. As I said, your best bet is buying directly from farmers at their markets. Buying from farmers is great because they sell it to you for more than if they sold it to retail and you buy it for cheaper than if you bought it from retail. I buy all my meat, butter, milk and eggs and most of my vegetables from farmers and I save money that way and get good produce. They don't have the official certification, but it doesn't actually matter.

With coffee I'm not sure what the situation is in the USA, but you should try to find some craft roasters. Usually their coffee isn't certified, but you can talk to the owners and find out where it comes from. Most of the time if you're not buying Starbucks grade coffee you're doing okay. I'm quite fortunate in the city I live in there are many craft roasters so the choice of coffees here is large.

I've always been suspicious of the so-called 'organic' food at the supermarket, I imagine most are just jumping on the bandwagon to make a profit instead of focusing on product quality.

Starbucks coffee is absolutely disgusting, it's way too acidic and I avoid it like the plague (there's also way too much caffeine in it....their Venti or large size has almost 500 mg).

I will take your advice and look for a local farmers market though...
Duty, Honour, Sacrifice.
Teutonic

Postby EzraLB » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:28 am

Here's some interesting information on how bad some multi-vitamins can be, loaded with all kinds of toxic substances:

http://draxe.com/centrum-vitamins/

Keep in mind that the major pharmaceutical companies manufacture the raw vitamins, and other companies buy that raw material and package it as their own "unique" and "high-quality" products; yet they are all made with the same basic chemical compounds.

Here they discuss just how poor of quality most vitamins are--and why your body can't utilize them...for example, many versions of Vitamin C are made from GMO ingredients...

http://draxe.com/your-supplements-could ... ower-scum/
"No Rothschild is English. No Baruch, Morgenthau, Cohen, Lehman, Warburg, Kuhn, Kahn, Schiff, Sieff or Solomon was ever born Anglo-Saxon. And it is for this filth that you fight. It is for this filth that you murdered your Empire. It is this filth that elects, selects, your politicians." -- Ezra Pound
EzraLB

Postby Gaius » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:25 am

Very valuable discussion/information.
Thanks to all.

I've long suspected that the "health food" industry is not far off being a branch of Big Pharma.
Maybe hyperbole, but maybe also not too far away from the truth ...
What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
(Romans 8 v 31)
Gaius

Postby Kentucky » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:35 pm

Or better yet, grow your own. But, if that is not practical, then farmer's markets are a good place to start. However, it pays to know your farmer. There are some vendors who buy their produce from out of state and don't actually farm it themselves. Then there are the scalawags who lie about what they're selling. If they don't know the difference between hybrid and heirloom, it is likely not the best choice. Most vendors are very health conscious and helpful.

If one has health issues, a naturopath can determine what nutrients you are lacking in and supply the proper supplements (not Big Pharma "vitamins"). Standard Process is a US company that has a reputation for having the highest quality for supplements. At my age, I take daily nutrients in pill form, because we simply don't have a perfect system or society that provides the necessary daily requirements for good health.

You may pay more for the organic certification, but most other produce and products will most likely have harmful chemicals integrated into the food you eat and yes will be cheaper. I'm willing to pay more for nutrition now, than to pay an AMA quack later.

Mark
Kentucky

Postby Germanicus » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:43 am

Is Oil of Oregano worth the $29.99 for the two ounce bottle?
Germanicus

Next

Return to Health & Hearth