This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

How are we to interpret Genesis 34?

Old Testament religious discussion apart from Biblical history

How are we to interpret Genesis 34?

Postby Teutonic » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:25 pm

Having decided to read through the book of Genesis again, I'm a little confused on chapter 34.

According to my KJV, Dinah, daughter of Jacob, is defiled by a Hivite named Shechem. Yet the house of Jacob offers to give her to this alien people so long as all their males be circumcised, so that they will 'become one people' (verse 16).

This seems contrary to God's law of separation between Israel and the other inhabitants of the land, for even if the Hivites be circumcised they are still not of Israel.

Would appreciate any insight on this matter....
Duty, Honour, Sacrifice.
Teutonic

Re: How are we to interpret Genesis 34?

Postby wmfinck » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:36 pm

Teutonic wrote:Having decided to read through the book of Genesis again, I'm a little confused on chapter 34.

According to my KJV, Dinah, daughter of Jacob, is defiled by a Hivite named Shechem. Yet the house of Jacob offers to give her to this alien people so long as all their males be circumcised, so that they will 'become one people' (verse 16).

This seems contrary to God's law of separation between Israel and the other inhabitants of the land, for even if the Hivites be circumcised they are still not of Israel.

The offer was a trick, a lie given in pretense, so that Simeon and Levi could have the advantage and destroy them all. Later, the brothers were chastised for acting rashly in their anger.
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Re: How are we to interpret Genesis 34?

Postby Teutonic » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:45 pm

wmfinck wrote:
Teutonic wrote:Having decided to read through the book of Genesis again, I'm a little confused on chapter 34.

The offer was a trick, a lie given in pretense, so that Simeon and Levi could have the advantage and destroy them all. Later, the brothers were chastised for acting rashly in their anger.

I see, reading through it again, I missed the point of verse 13: 'and the sons of Jacob answered Shechem and Hamor his father deceitfully.'

Thanks for the response!
Duty, Honour, Sacrifice.
Teutonic

Return to Old Testament Discussion