This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

You're never too old to start

Gardening, Homesteading & Other Wholesome Topics

You're never too old to start

Postby Nayto » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:23 am

Nayto

Re: You're never too old to start

Postby worms » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:53 pm

In 2013/2014 I used to Bodybuilding, I got pretty big and lean as I know a lot about excercise and nutrition. Tomorrow I am going to start dieting again to lose the tiny bit of fat I have over my abs, once I see my six pack I am going to start lifting weights again.

Weightlifting is great for you, not only does it make you look great and challenge your mental toughness but it is also great for your heart (which of course is a muscle itself).

Looking forward to getting back the gym. If anybody has any questions on weightlifting or nutrition then I would be glad to help. :)
worms

Postby Nayto » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:55 pm

Well there is a big difference between bodybuilding and strength training :D
Nayto

Postby Kentucky » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:31 am

Nayto wrote:Well there is a big difference between bodybuilding and strength training :D

Both seem to be stationary, but to each their own. My personal preference is wood hauling. Yesterday was a perfect day for me to be bringing up my firewood by the only means possible on my property and that is a wheelbarrow. The paths were dry enough for good traction even though wet slippery paths can be even more of a physical challenge. I should state that there is hardly any pathways that are flat; they're twisting and turning and it's all up hill. I load the wheelbarrow with about 50-80 pounds and go a distance of about 50 yards to my drop-off point. As I was getting my second wind yesterday, there were some stretches of path where it seemed I could get more bang for the buck by running up certain grades; and there's another little spot (about 10 yards) where I'm running downhill with the load. I was thinking of this thread as I was having so much fun hauling my firewood the other day with the side benefit of keeping warm this winter; actually, I work in the woods year round. This work, which I call my exercise, also keeps my agility and equilibrium in top shape by never remaining stationary. I'm now in my mid 60's and have never felt better. If anybody would like to try my exercise, I'd be happy to show them how we do it here in Kentucky. But, having your aforementioned body building and/or strength training would help.

Mark
Kentucky

Postby brucebohn » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:53 pm

The only exercise some people get is jumping to conclusions, running down their friends, side-stepping responsibility, and pushing their luck! :lol:
"Do you not know that with those running in a race,while all run,
but one takes the prize? In that manner you run, in order that you shall obtain."
1Cor. 9:24
brucebohn

Postby Nayto » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:14 pm

Kentucky wrote:
Nayto wrote:Well there is a big difference between bodybuilding and strength training :D

Both seem to be stationary, but to each their own.

One focuses on aesthetics and the other on athletics. One is stationary 8-)

Exerting a force against an external resistance while standing on your feet is a feat of strength and balance combined. 80lbs becomes relatively trivial to carry around even on treacherous terrain once one is accustomed to lifting 400lbs+ in deadlifts and squats.
Nayto

Postby worms » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:47 pm

A mixture of weightlifting AND cardio is optimal, but if I had to choose just one I would choose weightlifting. Contrary to popular opinion, weightlifting is a better way to lose fat than Cardio is, they're various scientific reasons for this, some of which I can't remember as I researched it years ago, one of the reasons is that weightlifting raises your metabolism, and the extra muscle you build burns more calories. Each pound of muscle burns much more calories than each pound of fat.

I went the gym today for a first time in a long while, unlike most men I work out my legs too. So I done a decent leg session then went home. I done a hamstring isolation exercise, a quadriceps isolation exercise and then finally done leg presses (like squats). Each exercise I done 4 sets. Next time I will work out my calves too as I have naturally slim calf muscles.

Walking home I could barely walk though, I stepped down a step and my leg nearly give way. :D
worms

Postby Nayto » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:13 pm

worms wrote:A mixture of weightlifting AND cardio is optimal, but if I had to choose just one I would choose weightlifting. Contrary to popular opinion, weightlifting is a better way to lose fat than Cardio is, they're various scientific reasons for this, some of which I can't remember as I researched it years ago, one of the reasons is that weightlifting raises your metabolism, and the extra muscle you build burns more calories. Each pound of muscle burns much more calories than each pound of fat.

Using compound exercises in strength training inevitably increases one's cardiovascular capacity to some degree. For combat some extra cardio is advised though.

worms wrote:I went the gym today for a first time in a long while, unlike most men I work out my legs too. So I done a decent leg session then went home. I done a hamstring isolation exercise, a quadriceps isolation exercise and then finally done leg presses (like squats). Each exercise I done 4 sets. Next time I will work out my calves too as I have naturally slim calf muscles.

I've found machines to generally unproductive in improving overall strength and balance, which is the ability to exert a force on an external resistance while standing on your feet. Barbell exercises are the best in this regard. Having trained them, I find that the strength transfers to machines but not vice versa.

worms wrote:Walking home I could barely walk though, I stepped down a step and my leg nearly give way. :D

Lol, I hope you enjoy the next couple of days :D

You should give these a try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM

(Anyone who has watched this video, do you think that the trainee is White?)
Nayto

Postby Kentucky » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:39 pm

Nayto wrote:(Anyone who has watched this video, do you think that the trainee is White?)

He reminded me of William Shatner, who later in life became flabby faced and chubby. That bald spot on his head could be from excessive beanie wear.

Mark
Kentucky

Postby Nayto » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:47 pm

Kentucky wrote:
Nayto wrote:(Anyone who has watched this video, do you think that the trainee is White?)

He reminded me of William Shatner, who later in life became flabby faced and chubby. That bald spot on his head could be from excessive beanie wear.

Mark

Oh that's the trainer. I meant the trainee. I had a laugh at the bald spot comment :lol:

He's definitely not jewish though at least in professed "religion". As far as I know he is some weird mix of neocon, libertarian and judeo-Christian.
Nayto

Next

Return to Health & Hearth