This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Was C.S. Lewis a Judeo-Christian?

For members who wish to post useful reviews of books or other references which they have read.

Was C.S. Lewis a Judeo-Christian?

Postby Teutonic » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:38 pm

I have a few of his books and I like his arguments against atheists but I also notice a slight anti-German attitude that permeates his writings...no doubt they were written during or after the world war(s). Also was he a Universalist?
Duty, Honour, Sacrifice.
Teutonic

Re: Was C.S. Lewis a Judeo-Christian?

Postby EzraLB » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:07 am

I would say, yes, C.S. Lewis was very much a Judeo-Christian--so much so that he married Joy Davidman, an "American" of jewish descent born in the Bronx. She was a radical communist and a feminist who at one time worked in Hollywood as a scriptwriter.

He obviously believed that this Edomite jewess could be "saved" by believing in "Jesus" as is demonstrated by the Judeo epitaph he wrote for her grave:

Here the whole world (stars, water, air,
And field, and forest, as they were
Reflected in a single mind)
Like cast off clothes was left behind
In ashes, yet with hopes that she,
Re-born from holy poverty,
In lenten lands, hereafter may
Resume them on her Easter Day

Source:
http://oxfordinklings.blogspot.com/2009 ... orium.html
"No Rothschild is English. No Baruch, Morgenthau, Cohen, Lehman, Warburg, Kuhn, Kahn, Schiff, Sieff or Solomon was ever born Anglo-Saxon. And it is for this filth that you fight. It is for this filth that you murdered your Empire. It is this filth that elects, selects, your politicians." -- Ezra Pound
EzraLB

Re: Was C.S. Lewis a Judeo-Christian?

Postby bahr » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:45 am

I have read his "Cosmic Trilogy", which is well written and entertaining, but in this story, different species living on other planets are destined to live in "peace and harmony" with each other, because it is the will of powerful spiritual beings/angels. So yes, C. S. Lewis clearly believed and promoted the universalism of "Judeo-Christianism".
bahr

Return to Book Reviews