This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Accurate history books

For members who wish to post useful reviews of books or other references which they have read.

Accurate history books

Postby NicoChristian » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:40 pm

As history is by far one of my favourite subjects, I'm always on the lookout for decent history books. A lot of the history books I've read have a coloured, liberal outlook. Some seem fairly neutral while others are pure Marxism. A lot of the more accurate history books were written before the first or second world wars so they do not cover a lot of modern history. One book that I think gives an accurate and fairly neutral history of the First Crusade is Thomas Asbridge's The First Crusade. I'm fairly old-fashioned, I don't like to read much online, I like to have a solid book in my hands that I can still read when the power goes out. Anybody know of any good history books, be it ancient, medieval or modern history? I get tired of reading annoying liberal additions that are obviously falsehoods.
YHWH bless.
NicoChristian

Re: Accurate history books

Postby Filidh » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:52 pm

i'm currently working my way thru livy's "history of rome". most library's would have it, i imagine. the library here has the dual-language latin-english loeb classical library edition of volumes one thru three that i'm using.

i know you prefer hardcopies, but here's an ecopy to give you an idea at least of whether you'll want a hardcopy: http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/txt/ah/Livy/

going to the original contemporary historians is the best option in most cases, as you're right that most modern historians are marxists.
real name's trevor :-)
Filidh

Return to Book Reviews