This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Passover

Passover

Postby Heather » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:50 pm

Can someone explain how jesus kept the passover the night before the passover of the jews, but was still crucified when the lambs were supposed to be slain? The calendar thing is giving me headaches. Between when is the sabbath, and the solar/lunar people, and the solar people, lunar....it's very confusing!
Heather

Re: Passover

Postby Staropramen » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:19 pm

Hello Heather,
Sorry I can't offer you an exact answer but you may find this website helpful. I haven't perused it too much myself but I have heard it referenced in several podcasts when the subject has been addressed;

http://ezra98.yolasite.com/calendar.php
"If God is a Jew then the only thing left for us to do is commit suicide"
-Dr. Wesley A. Swift
Historical Recordings of interest to Christians;
http://historicalrecordings.net/
Staropramen

Postby Heather » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:06 pm

I've read that site, which is what freaked me out. He addresses that jesus was crucified on the day appointed, but then doesn't explain the dinner the night before. Was it symbolic or the real passover? It can't be both. Like I said, the calendar thing is so hard, maybe because I'm not a math genius, but I can't resolve these issues right now.
Heather

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:23 am

It seems there was a divergence even in those days.

7 And the day of the unleavened bread had come [the Codex Bezae (D) has Passover], in which it was necessary to sacrifice the Passover. [This is the day before the preparation day of the Judaeans upon which they prepared their Passover, obviously a different date where we see a divergence in the calendar at this time.] 8 And He sent off Petros and Iohannes, saying “Going prepare for us the Passover in order that we may eat.” 9 But they said to Him: “Where do You wish that we should prepare it?” -

See more at: http://christogenea.org/podcasts/gospel ... dSnd3.dpuf

I think Bill mentioned this in a recent podcast too.
...and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Joe

Postby wmfinck » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:07 am

Heather wrote:I've read that site, which is what freaked me out. He addresses that jesus was crucified on the day appointed, but then doesn't explain the dinner the night before. Was it symbolic or the real passover? It can't be both. Like I said, the calendar thing is so hard, maybe because I'm not a math genius, but I can't resolve these issues right now.

But it must be both. There was clearly a different calendar in use among the people than that which was being used in Jerusalem as the "official" calendar.

The apostles believed they were eating the Passover with Christ on the day that they should have been eating Passover, and in all Gospels it is indicated that they had planned ahead to eat it when they did because they believed it was the Passover day and not because they were compelled to follow some sort of substitute schedule.

It was not like they knew in advance that Christ was going to be slain on the "official" Passover day of the Judaeans.

John often called feast days "a feast of the Judaeans" (John 5:1, 6:4, 7:11) as if he himself was detached from them, which may also be an indication that in Jerusalem there was a separate calendar being followed.

Christ was slain on the day that Judaea as a nation (although under the rule of Edomite agents of Rome) was celebrating the Passover. Whatever the "real day" was is immaterial.
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Thank you for your replies.
Then do you think it matters to God if we celebrate on the wrong day? Or does the day matter? Or the sabbath day matter? Using the moon does seem ridiculous, but I don't want to be caught up on days if it actually doesn't matter. Keeping Saturday sabbath has been very difficult!
Heather

Postby Kentucky » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Heather wrote:Thank you for your replies.
Then do you think it matters to God if we celebrate on the wrong day? Or does the day matter? Or the sabbath day matter? Using the moon does seem ridiculous, but I don't want to be caught up on days if it actually doesn't matter. Keeping Saturday sabbath has been very difficult!

"Therefore no one must judge you in food and in drink, or in respect of feast or new month or of the Sabbaths" Col 2:16 CNT.

Mark
Kentucky

Postby wmfinck » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:56 am

Kentucky wrote:
Heather wrote:Thank you for your replies.

"Therefore no one must judge you in food and in drink, or in respect of feast or new month or of the Sabbaths" Col 2:16 CNT.

Mark

LOL, Mark beat me to it.

Heather, it is good to celebrate the feasts and sabbaths if you can do so with others who also appreciate God's Law, and especially if your own family is so minded.

There is alo nothing wrong with keeping a Sunday sabbath, if Saturday is difficult, because neither Saturday nor Sunday, as we know the days, are actually the days upon which the ancient Israelites kept Sabbath. There was not an unbroken cycle of 7 day weeks continuously. Rather, they started counting 7's with each Spring Equinox.

Under such a system, it would be impossible for most families to operate today. Yahweh God certainly knows that, and that is part of the reason behind Paul's admonition, as Mark had quoted.

So keep the spirit of the law, and keep the sabbaths and feasts as you can, not constraining yourself to a calendar which is difficult for us to live by while we are in national captivity.
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:37 pm

Thank you, that is comforting. We've been doing this only a year, starting out being anti catholic, then anti jewish. So neither day feels great, but it's got to be one of them the way our lives work.
Heather

Postby NicoChristian » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:34 pm

This helps me a lot. I keep every Saturday, but I have heard many conflicting views over the years. I also try to keep feasts and all important events; yet I'm unsure in some cases.

Yahweh knows our hearts; we may be sinful and corrupt, but we can still make an effort to please our Heavenly Father.
YHWH bless.
NicoChristian

Next

Return to Feasts and Calendar Issues