This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

The Wrath Of The Awakened Saxon

Postby Fenwick » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:04 pm

by Rudyard Kipling

It was not part of their blood,
It came to them very late,
With long arrears to make good,
When the Saxon began to hate.

They were not easily moved,
They were icy -- willing to wait
Till every count should be proved,
Ere the Saxon began to hate.

Their voices were even and low.
Their eyes were level and straight.
There was neither sign nor show

It was not preached to the crowd.
It was not taught by the state.
No man spoke it aloud

It was not suddenly bred.
It will not swiftly abate.
Through the chilled years ahead,
When Time shall count from the date
That the Saxon began to hate.

I only recently discovered this one of Kipling's poems. I've always liked him for his poems on the importance of Christianity (Recessional) and on the detrimental effects of colonialism on the coloniser (The White Man's Burden). Whilst he could only be said to have had the vaguest of Identity leanings (and with all the usual baggage of 19th century BI) I thought it was quite a fitting poem for our situation, especially when you take "Saxon" in its wider meaning.

You have to keep an eye out for these things, as people do not always voice things openly, and in our modern age they perfect the "cold face" to avoid being confronted. But get them alone, and convince them that you won't rat them out, and you can see how angry people get about racial issues.
Fenwick

Return to CI Music & Poetry