This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

question regarding tubal cain and music.

question regarding tubal cain and music.

Postby MikeTheAdamite » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:24 am

This has probably been discussed before but I have to ask:
Since tubal was the founder of musical instruments,is music the work of the devil?
MikeTheAdamite

Re: question regarding tubal cain and music.

Postby Kentucky » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:31 pm

MikeTheAdamite wrote:This has probably been discussed before but I have to ask:
Since tubal was the founder of musical instruments,is music the work of the devil?

David played a harp and he was the 'apple of God's eye.' And then we have the trumpets "And the seven angels, with whom were the seven trumpets, prepared themselves to sound" Rev. 8:6.

From the Keil and Delitzsch Biblical Commentary on the Old Testament:
Jubal (sound), the father of all such as handle the harp and pipe, i.e., the inventors of stringed and wind instruments. כּנּור a guitar or harp; עוּגב the shepherd's reed or bagpipe. Tubal-Cain, "hammering all kinds of cutting things (the verb is to be construed as neuter) in brass and iron;" the inventor therefore of all kinds of edge-tools for working in metals: so that Cain, from קין to forge, is probably to be regarded as the surname which Tubal received on account of his inventions. The meaning of Tubal is obscure; for the Persian Tupal, iron-scoria, can throw no light upon it, as it must be a much later word.... the principal arts and manufactures were invented by the Cainites, and carried out in an ungodly spirit; but they are not therefore to be attributed to the curse which rested upon the family. They have their roots rather in the mental powers with which man was endowed for the sovereignty and subjugation of the earth, but which, like all the other powers and tendencies of his nature, were pervaded by sin, and desecrated in its service. Hence these inventions have become the common property of humanity, because they not only may promote its intended development, but are to be applied and consecrated to this purpose for the glory of God.

Mark
Kentucky

Postby MikeTheAdamite » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks Mark,that answers my question.I guess im safe to play my Beastie boys CDs again!!!(joke).
MikeTheAdamite

Postby Staropramen » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:58 am

The "tabrets" and "pipes" of Ezekiel 28 are, I believe referring to musical instruments. If you take these passages as referring to Lucifer before the fall then obviously Yahweh created a musical entity who's original job was, at least in part to glorify God in song. After the fall Satan continued to use his abilities to deceive.
"If God is a Jew then the only thing left for us to do is commit suicide"
-Dr. Wesley A. Swift
Historical Recordings of interest to Christians;
http://historicalrecordings.net/
Staropramen

Return to CI Music & Poetry