This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Stand up, stand up for Jesus

Stand up, stand up for Jesus

Postby Acrimonious » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:17 am

Though the origins of this song are suspect (if I recall correctly, an American abolitionist... :roll: ) I often have it pop into my head, specifically this rendition. The guy isn't the greatest of singers, which is good. We need more people to feel comfortable with their voices in worship of our Father, as song is a wonderful form of worship. Psalm 98:4 states, 'To the LORD then make all the land cheer; Break out, and hurrah, and sing Psalms.' Indeed, the entire psalm is on the topic of worship through song, but that verse specifically instructs us to sing for our Father. Regardless of your gifts, you have a voice that He loves to hear - use it!

Acrimonious

Re: Stand up, stand up for Jesus

Postby Kentucky » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:24 pm

We sing it at our church. Here's a link for the story behind the song:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/musi ... -hymn.html

The hymn was stimulated by an abolitionists, but I couldn't find any evidence that George Duffield Jr. was one.

Mark
Kentucky

Return to CI Music & Poetry