This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Cwm Rhondda: Rewritten with more appropriate lyrics

Cwm Rhondda: Rewritten with more appropriate lyrics

Postby Michael » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:13 am

Anyone from a Protestant background will know the hymn Cwn Rhondda (Or as it is known in English: Guide me oh Thou Great Redeemer). It is a wonderful hymn that was written by the Welshman William Williams. The Cymri sing it in Welsh, and in English.

The hymn in its original text is a call to Yahweh by Isreal as they travel in the desert post-Egypt. However, like almost all hymns from the Reformation tradition, and indeed as we know many principles of Reformation theology, it is not quite an accurate reflection of scripture. However, as it is such a wonderful tune, and the hymn means so much to our kin folk in Wales and Isrealites throughout the world, I thought it would be well worth it if I attempt to amend some of the lyrics to try to make it both more scripturally accurate, and try to reflect true Isreal's current place in time.

I have attempted to re-write it with the goal of expressing our current situation and journey, acknowledging that we are Yahweh's battle axe, and we are in no doubt in the time of Tribulation. In short, I have made it somewhat of a battle hymn.

If anyone does not know the hymn, or its original lyrics, it can of course be found on youtube and elsewhere.

I
Guide me oh Thou Great Redeemer,
Pilgrim in this corrupt world;
I am one, but Thou art mighty,
Hold me with Thy powerful hand;

Bread of Heaven,
Bread of Heaven;

Feed me so I can fight on,
Feed me so I can fight on;

II
Open now my eyes to wisdom,
So that I may work for You;
Let the fiery cloudy pillar,
Lead Your Folk this journey through

Strong Deliverer,
Strong Deliverer;

Be Thou still my strength and shield,
Be Thou still my strength and shield.

III
As I fight persecution,
Bid my anxious fears aside;
The Tree of Life, our preservation,
Lead me to Your right hand side;

Songs of Praises,
Songs of Praises;

I will ever give to Thee,
I will ever give to Thee;
Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Matthew 7 16-19 KJV
Michael

Return to CI Music & Poetry