This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

A Critical Look at Music - Kurt Eger

A Critical Look at Music - Kurt Eger

Postby egerkurt » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:58 am

Brothers and Sisters:

I spent a part of this evening listening to some music by artists in various styles. I keep having a nagging inside of me that makes take a more critical look at what I'm hearing and what all this music means. Over the many years I have been making and listening to music I have always enjoyed the sound of the blues as sung and played by the likes of BB King, the soul of Ray Charles, the trumpet of Miles Davis, the saxophone of John Coltrane. There is no doubt there is artistry here, even genius. But as I grow in my walk with Yahweh I begin to wonder about the origin and the purpose of this type of music and where it leads. I certainly am no prude but I recall all the to-do about Chuck Berry and Elvis and Rock and Roll being the "Devil's Music" and how the parents and church-goers were later ridiculed for displaying such racist, redneck and backward thinking as the music of the Negro gradually became part of mainstream American life.

My thought is about Lucifer and his power in every facet of the world. Often people might think that Lucifer only behaves in an overt and aggressive manner. But doesn't he also have capacity for subtlety as demonstrated by Nacash the enchanter? And as the brightest angel wouldn't he possess genius too? I'm lead to the thought that perhaps so much of what we perceive as only innocent creativity and play and self-expression is actually the deadly, albeit subtle work of Lucifer. His tempting, his offerings, his "be yourself man" verbiage is present in everything I see and hear and many Israelites have fallen into his trap.

I wonder how Yahweh wants me to proceed with the talents he has given me. We have been admonished to "Get out of Babylon" and that might mean letting go of the music and the lifestyles we have loved in the past. I'd struggled in the music business for so long and it seemed that doors were always slammed in my face and I became frustrated and despondent. I knew I had talent and I tried all the self-help stuff, the self-actualization, the positive thinking, the prosperity theology of Joel Osteen, et al. But perhaps it was Yahweh who was slamming the doors, keep worldly success from me. What a waste of HIS talent it would have been for me to become yet another drug-addicted, promiscuous, self-important "artist" even with a Grammy on my mantle and a million in the bank. Anybody see the movie "Crazyheart"? Fellow artists- thoughts on this? Thanks.

Kurt
egerkurt

Re: CI MUSIC

Postby JamesTheJust » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:49 pm

Brother Kurt,

I believe that everyone within CI has been guided by YHWH to get to the point that they are today. I could point out many significant events in my life, which led me to where I am today. I am certain that everyone of our kinspeople could do the same. Afterall, this is a very strange place to land in the scheme of things; considering what most people consider to be "normal".

I view every moment of my life to be the product of YHWH's guiding hand. Sometimes I rebel, but then I am corrected, and that's a good thing because a good Father corrects those whom HE loves. Considering what we all know to be about today's definition of entertainment; not to mention the Edomite's control over this aspect, I would say that you are probably correct that YHWH had other plans for HIS son. You should go with that. You should calmly accept, with faith, whatever doors YHWH opens or closes for you.

Rejoice in the Prince at all times. Again I say rejoice. Your moderation must be known to all men. The Prince is near. Be anxious about nothing, but in everything in prayer and supplication with thanksgiving you must make your requests known to Yahweh, and the peace of Yahweh, which exceeds all understanding shall keep your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Yahshua. For what remains, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is revered, whatever is just, whatever is undefiled, whatever is dear, whatever is auspicious, if any virtue and if any praise, take these things into account.

Philippesian 4:4-8 (CNT)

Perhaps you should look into ways of using your talents to advance The Kingdom message?

YAH bless.
Ye chosen seed of Israel's race, ye ransomed from the fall, hail him who saves you by his grace, and crown him Lord of all. Hail him who saves you by his grace, and crown him Lord of all.
JamesTheJust

Re: CI MUSIC

Postby egerkurt » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:53 pm

Brother James:

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. I believe that you are right about the opening and closing of doors. It is imperative that if we are to be heirs of HIS Kingdom then we must depart from Babylon. This is a difficult task given our training and the constant temptations that are everywhere. But what a world awaits us- if we do HIS will and stay on the straight and narrow we will have all eternity to work and celebrate with our heavenly Father and our brothers and sisters. Hallelujah.

Yah bless, Kurt
egerkurt

Return to CI Music & Poetry