This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Depictions and discovered remains of ancient Germans

Topics Concerning Race and Ancient Man

Depictions and discovered remains of ancient Germans

Postby icelander93 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:40 pm

In 1948 a head was found wrapped in a deerskin cape in the Köhlmoor near Osterby, Schleswig-Holstein in Germany. Most remarkable is the man’s coiffure, known as a Swabian knot. The Roman author Tacitus gives a detailed description of this particular knot is his book Germania (A.D. 98). Osterby Man was decapitated between A.D. 70 and 220.

Bog bodies

Tollund man 400 BC

Grauballe man 290 BC

Reconstruction of the Yde girl 170 BC–AD 230,

14th century Swedish man from Bocksten skeleton and reconstruction

Windeby I

Windeby I is the name given to the bog body found preserved in a peat bog near Windeby, Northern Germany, in 1952. Until recently, the body was also called the Windeby Girl, because an archeologist believed it to be the body of a 14-year old female due to its slight build. Prof. Heather Gill-Robinson, a Canadian anthropologist and pathologist, used DNA testing to show the body was actually that of a male. The Windeby I body is one of the best preserved bog bodies in the world.

The body was discovered by commercial peat cutters in 1952, and is now on display at The Landesmuseum at the Schloß Gottorf in Schleswig, Germany. Unfortunately, by the time the body was noticed by the peat cutters, and before the peat cutting machinery could be shut down, a hand, a foot and a leg had been severed from the body. Despite this damage, the body had been very well preserved by the peat, and it is still an important archaeological discovery. Shortly after the discovery of Windeby I, another bog body (an adult male) was found nearby and named Windeby II.

The body appears to have a half-shaven head and a woollen blindfold tied across the eyes. Recent examinations have however established that the hair over the half of the skalp was not shaven, but had rather decomposed due to being exposed to oxygen a little longer than the rest of the body. The "blindfold" is in fact a woollen band, made using the sprang technique, that was probably used to tie back the boy’s shoulder-length hair and which had slipped down over the face after the boy's death. The evidence from the body suggests that the boy had been murdered, possibly as a sacrifice or a punishment. This idea is supported by the fact that the body was discovered underneath logs and branches, which were presumably used to hold the body down.

Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society
icelander93

Return to Anthropology