This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Advice on Multivitamins???

Gardening, Homesteading & Other Wholesome Topics

Re: Advice on Multivitamins???

Postby Nayto » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:58 am

I highly doubt it. What do you want to achieve with this oil?

In my opinion, most of these things are gimmicks and can't be replaced with a healthy, balanced diet.
Nayto
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:06 am

Re: Advice on Multivitamins???

Postby Acrimonious » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:54 am

Germanicus wrote:Is Oil of Oregano worth the $29.99 for the two ounce bottle?


No, it isn't; a cursory search has turned up a few alternatives at much better prices. However, as with every purchase, do consider the source.

Oil of Oregano has legitimate medical uses as a topical anesthetic, especially in instances of oral distress. Furthermore, it can be placed closer to the base of a nerve ganglia to alleviate a greater distal pain via referred pain. A similar (but diminished) effect can be observed when applying a pinch of oregano, fresh or dried, to an affected area within the mouth, or when used as a poultice on the skin.
User avatar
Acrimonious
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:37 am

Re: Advice on Multivitamins???

Postby EzraLB » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:33 am

A perfect example of how a dietary supplement can actually cause disease is calcium carbonate, which is the most common form of calcium supplement on the market today. This form of calcium is very toxic and not readily absorbed by your body--and can lead to a significant increased risk of heart disease:

http://preventdisease.com/news/16/11011 ... ease.shtml

The best non-dairy source of dietary calcium, without any negative side effects, is actually green vegetables, or even oranges (not pasteurized commercial orange juice, which is basically orange-flavored sugar water):

https://www.healthaliciousness.com/arti ... tables.php

The problem with relying on commercial milk--and milk products--for your calcium intake is that the pasteurization process--exposure to high heat--can actually transform the natural calcium complex in milk into toxic calcium carbonate, which your body cannot readily absorb. Raw milk, of course, does not pose this problem, and is always the best form of dairy you can consume for dietary calcium.

As far as Oregano Oil goes, as Acrimonious correctly points out, it does have very powerful anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and analgesic benefits. However, you have to be very careful with it because it comes in different concentrations--and if you try to ingest or put pure oregano oil on your skin, it can cause severe burns--even to your esophagus. It's best to dilute the pure oregano oil with olive oil--or just buy diluted oregano oil, which is much cheaper--and safer.
"No Rothschild is English. No Baruch, Morgenthau, Cohen, Lehman, Warburg, Kuhn, Kahn, Schiff, Sieff or Solomon was ever born Anglo-Saxon. And it is for this filth that you fight. It is for this filth that you murdered your Empire. It is this filth that elects, selects, your politicians." -- Ezra Pound
User avatar
EzraLB
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:32 am

Re: Advice on Multivitamins???

Postby Nayto » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:47 am

Yeah Ezra I read that study on calcium supplementation as well. It seems calcium isn't as well understood in the human body as we've always thought, especially regarding acidity in the body. As you say though, you can't go wrong getting it via vegetables.

I will say though that strength training has been proven to drastically increase bone density in the body, even in the elderly. Here I go like a broken record again :roll:

EzraLB wrote:As far as Oregano Oil goes, as Acrimonious correctly points out, it does have very powerful anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and analgesic benefits. However, you have to be very careful with it because it comes in different concentrations--and if you try to ingest or put pure oregano oil on your skin, it can cause severe burns--even to your esophagus. It's best to dilute the pure oregano oil with olive oil--or just buy diluted oregano oil, which is much cheaper--and safer.


I was a little confused about this with a topical oil being posted in a thread on multivitamins. It does seem like pure oregano oil should be something one shouldn't ingest lightly.
Nayto
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:06 am

Re: Advice on Multivitamins???

Postby Acrimonious » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:48 pm

Nayto wrote:I was a little confused about this with a topical oil being posted in a thread on multivitamins. It does seem like pure oregano oil should be something one shouldn't ingest lightly.


The question was regarding the pricing of the oil, so I responded regarding the pricing; I simply mentioned that it does have demonstrably-beneficial uses since its worth was seemingly called into question.
User avatar
Acrimonious
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:37 am

Re: Advice on Multivitamins???

Postby wmfinck » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:52 pm

Acrimonious wrote:
Nayto wrote:I was a little confused about this with a topical oil being posted in a thread on multivitamins. It does seem like pure oregano oil should be something one shouldn't ingest lightly.


The question was regarding the pricing of the oil, so I responded regarding the pricing; I simply mentioned that it does have demonstrably-beneficial uses since its worth was seemingly called into question.


I actually have ingested pure oil of oregano, two medicine-droppers at a time, when I suspected a digestive system virus, which may have been caused by some undercooked or mishandled food. I am also persuaded that it was beneficial.
Image
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
User avatar
wmfinck
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:09 am

Re: Advice on Multivitamins???

Postby Nayto » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:12 am

Acrimonious wrote:The question was regarding the pricing of the oil, so I responded regarding the pricing; I simply mentioned that it does have demonstrably-beneficial uses since its worth was seemingly called into question.


I'm still of the opinion that it's a gimmick at that price as a dietary supplement, LOL.

wmfinck wrote:I actually have ingested pure oil of oregano, two medicine-droppers at a time, when I suspected a digestive system virus, which may have been caused by some undercooked or mishandled food. I am also persuaded that it was beneficial.


Undercooked or mishandled food usually -- even always -- causes bacterial infection and given that such things usually clear up quickly by themselves, it might have been a placebo.
Nayto
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:06 am

Re: Advice on Multivitamins???

Postby EzraLB » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:50 am

Nayto wrote:Under-cooked or mishandled food usually -- even always -- causes bacterial infection and given that such things usually clear up quickly by themselves, it might have been a placebo.


Actually, the positive effects of oregano that Bill experienced are supported by even mainstream medical research:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23484421/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 065609.htm

Like Bill, I also have used oregano oil to treat intestinal problems--and it is effective in treating intestinal bugs. The only caveat that I would offer--and I've experienced this myself--is that if you take too much oregano oil, it can also kill off the healthy and essential gut flora, which results in diarrhea as a side effect. If you are going to take oregano for an intestinal bug, I'd recommend taking some probiotics at the same time to support and promote your healthy intestinal gut flora.
"No Rothschild is English. No Baruch, Morgenthau, Cohen, Lehman, Warburg, Kuhn, Kahn, Schiff, Sieff or Solomon was ever born Anglo-Saxon. And it is for this filth that you fight. It is for this filth that you murdered your Empire. It is this filth that elects, selects, your politicians." -- Ezra Pound
User avatar
EzraLB
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:32 am

Re: Advice on Multivitamins???

Postby Nayto » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:37 am

EzraLB wrote:
Nayto wrote:Under-cooked or mishandled food usually -- even always -- causes bacterial infection and given that such things usually clear up quickly by themselves, it might have been a placebo.


Actually, the positive effects of oregano that Bill experienced are supported by even mainstream medical research:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23484421/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 065609.htm

Like Bill, I also have used oregano oil to treat intestinal problems--and it is effective in treating intestinal bugs. The only caveat that I would offer--and I've experienced this myself--is that if you take too much oregano oil, it can also kill off the healthy and essential gut flora, which results in diarrhea as a side effect. If you are going to take oregano for an intestinal bug, I'd recommend taking some probiotics at the same time to support and promote your healthy intestinal gut flora.


That's pretty interesting. Although the risk always with dealing with intestinal infection in such a manner is throwing the bacterial baby out with the bathwater.

I would still maintain that for common food poisoning it is not necessary to do anything unless it persists for more than a day. Normal for poisoning is a quick affair; the body will simply flush it out and be done with it. Just keep water intake up to accommodate for the rapid loss of course. So if it cleared up in a day or less, it was probably only going to take that long right from the start.
Nayto
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:06 am

Re: Advice on Multivitamins???

Postby EzraLB » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:02 pm

Nayto wrote:I would still maintain that for common food poisoning it is not necessary to do anything unless it persists for more than a day. Normal for poisoning is a quick affair; the body will simply flush it out and be done with it. Just keep water intake up to accommodate for the rapid loss of course. So if it cleared up in a day or less, it was probably only going to take that long right from the start.


I would agree with you that letting nature take its course is preferable, but keep in mind that for younger people like yourself, who are in prime physical health, it's far easier to recover from "normal" food poisoning than it is for older people like Bill and myself. As we age, our ability to naturally fit off routine bugs diminishes--and in those cases, using a natural intervention--conservatively--can prevent it from becoming much worse than it has to be.
"No Rothschild is English. No Baruch, Morgenthau, Cohen, Lehman, Warburg, Kuhn, Kahn, Schiff, Sieff or Solomon was ever born Anglo-Saxon. And it is for this filth that you fight. It is for this filth that you murdered your Empire. It is this filth that elects, selects, your politicians." -- Ezra Pound
User avatar
EzraLB
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:32 am

PreviousNext

Return to Health & Hearth

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron