This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Oranges are hybridized

Gardening, Homesteading & Other Wholesome Topics

Oranges are hybridized

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:58 am

Oranges are hybridized.

The orange (specifically, the sweet orange) is the fruit of the citrus species Citrus × sinensis in the family Rutaceae.[2] The fruit of the Citrus sinensis is considered a sweet orange, whereas the fruit of the Citrus aurantium is considered a bitter orange. The orange is a hybrid, possibly between pomelo (Citrus maxima) and mandarin (Citrus reticulata), which has been cultivated since ancient times.[3]

Some hybrid fruits, like the calypso 'mango', are unstable ...if you plant one of their seeds you will not get a calypso mango tree, their traits are unstable. Thus all such trees are clones.

Do you eat oranges?
At what point would you say 'this is not as it should be'?

I am not overly concerned, nor am I trying to make us look silly. I am asking sensibly.
...and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Joe

Re: Oranges are hybridized

Postby Staropramen » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:59 am

I've been hitting the discount over-ripe fruit rack at my grocer since buying the Vitamix. Since everything gets pulverized I don't worry if it's not entirely fresh. I picked up some oranges recently. Tossed'm in with some cranberries and flax seed for a great drink.

Another great combo is frozen bananas, oat milk and peanut butter.

As soon as I see a good deal on over-ripe tomatoes I'm making a pot of sauce.
"If God is a Jew then the only thing left for us to do is commit suicide"
-Dr. Wesley A. Swift
Historical Recordings of interest to Christians;
http://historicalrecordings.net/
Staropramen

Postby wmfinck » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:31 pm

So what are you saying, these hybridized fruits cannot go to heaven?

But it isn't THEIR fault they are hybridized! God will still love them!

Uh-huh
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby Staropramen » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:42 pm

I hope the Orange Bird isn't a bastard. I like his song.

"If God is a Jew then the only thing left for us to do is commit suicide"
-Dr. Wesley A. Swift
Historical Recordings of interest to Christians;
http://historicalrecordings.net/
Staropramen

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:42 pm

Bill said
So what are you saying, these hybridized fruits cannot go to heaven?

But it isn't THEIR fault they are hybridized! God will still love them!

Uh-huh

I am not e-lie james :) .

I am still not sure if we should eat them or not, God didn't make them that way. So I wanted to see what others thought, knowing that. Modern wheat is the same. Some of the modern fruits are abominable, they are not stable at all.

I guess I am rather pedantic about the food Law, not like the hypocrites however.
...and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Joe

Postby wmfinck » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:08 am

On a more serious note, I do try to avoid truly hybridized foods, when I can.

But many "hybrids" are only crosses between two "species" of the same fruit that may only have been specialized at some point in the past.

Is a "hybrid" between say, a Granny Smith apple and a Red Delicious apple really a hybrid?

So for that reason, to me an apple is an apple. But neither am I a botanist.

I would not eat an apple that has been crossed with fish genes, or some of the other Frankenfoods these jew bastards are corrupting.
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby Hunter » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:52 pm

At Christmas time around here, the stores used to ship in endless tonnes of those boxes of mandarin oranges from Japan - we called 'em Christmas or Japanese oranges, too. Since the Fukushima melt down in Japan, I won't go near them ...and it seems the stores sell a lot less of them now - they used to be quite popular. I guess people don't like their Christmas oranges to be precooked/nuked.
Hunter

Return to Health & Hearth