This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Goodbye old friend......

Gardening, Homesteading & Other Wholesome Topics

Goodbye old friend......

Postby Staropramen » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:32 pm

Having successfully given up swine [well over a year] and alcohol [6 months] I'm now ready to take on the biggie: coffee. 24 hours coffee free. Had a horrible headache earlier today :( . Feeling ok now though.

We're going to invest in a high powered blender, like a Vitamix perhaps. Juiced veggies will replace my romance with caffeine.
"If God is a Jew then the only thing left for us to do is commit suicide"
-Dr. Wesley A. Swift
Historical Recordings of interest to Christians;
http://historicalrecordings.net/
Staropramen

Re: Goodbye old friend......

Postby Hunter » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:37 am

Staropramen wrote:Having successfully given up swine [well over a year] and alcohol [6 months] I'm now ready to take on the biggie: coffee. 24 hours coffee free. Had a horrible headache earlier today :( . Feeling ok now though.

We're going to invest in a high powered blender, like a Vitamix perhaps. Juiced veggies will replace my romance with caffeine.

You're a brave man. I get real grumpy if I go more than a day without my fix, lol.

Have you considered decaffeinated or is that stuff even worse poison?

Sometimes, I've substituted black tea (about a 1/3rd of the caffeine vs. coffee) or even green tea (has very little caffeine). I gotta be careful with green tea, though, because it'll give me nausea if I steep it for too long - I think its too many of the tannins that get drawn out of the tea leaves from over steeping. It doesn't seem to happen to the same degree with black tea, but I prefer milk and sugar in the black, anyhow, which offsets the bitter taste of the tannins.

Anyways, I hope it works out well for you and with no further headaches.
Hunter

Postby wmfinck » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:29 am

I do not think it a sin to have a beer, and I do - preferring something German or Belgian. No BudweiserCoorsMiller here!

Drunkenness certainly IS a sin, however.

And part with my coffee? wow...

But you can have a beer now and then, and drink some coffee, and still be healthy. We got a Nutribullet last year and I think they are wonderful, and much better and easier to clean than most blenders or juicers.

Kale and sometimes spinach in the Nutribullet really puts my tinitis under control. After 10 or 12 years it was really bad, often woke me up at night, and I thought it was hopeless. Now it is practically gone.
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby Fenwick » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:18 pm

wmfinck wrote:I do not think it a sin to have a beer, and I do - preferring something German or Belgian. No BudweiserCoorsMiller here!

I doubt wine would be mentioned so positively throughout the bible if alcohol was prohibited. My reason for abstaining is because I've never liked the idea of diminished self-control in public. For someone with unpopular worldviews that seems risky.

As for coffee, well maybe it's the people who are shaking violently with withdrawl every morning who should knock it on the head. I didn't grow up in a culture that drank coffee so it's another thing I wanted to avoid any dependency on. I just need to work on reducing my sugar intake...

Hunter wrote: I gotta be careful with green tea, though, because it'll give me nausea if I steep it for too long - I think its too many of the tannins that get drawn out of the tea leaves from over steeping. It doesn't seem to happen to the same degree with black tea, but I prefer milk and sugar in the black, anyhow, which offsets the bitter taste of the tannins..

Green tea only needs about a minute of steeping, and with water that's not fully boiled. Otherwise it can end up tasting like boiled peas. Black tea I'd use boiling water and steep for two minutes.

The main issue I find with people making their tea too bitter is that the ones using teabags tend to squeeze the bag like they're wringing out a dishcloth, which forces out too much of the tannins. They'd be better off letting it infuse on its own and just fishing it out at the end.
Fenwick

Postby Staropramen » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:31 pm

Hunter wrote:Have you considered decaffeinated or is that stuff even worse poison?

I'm switching to herbal tea.
-Dr. Wesley A. Swift
Staropramen

Postby Staropramen » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:35 pm

wmfinck wrote:I do not think it a sin to have a beer,

I agree. I got really drunk one day in the summer and did some very stupid things that must never happen again. That's why I decided to quit alcohol completely.
-Dr. Wesley A. Swift
Staropramen

Postby Staropramen » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:43 pm

Fenwick wrote:My reason for abstaining is because I've never liked the idea of diminished self-control in public. For someone with unpopular worldviews that seems risky.

Bingo! We must move about in society constantly seeing things that are only fit to be destroyed. Mixing alcohol with such a heightened sense of perception is risky.
-Dr. Wesley A. Swift
Staropramen

Postby Nayto » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:43 pm

Having a certain amount of coffee a day is actually fine and even beneficial for you. Having more than I think 100mg or 150mg of caffeine a day (depending on your body composition) is where it becomes problematic.

Another problem with coffee is the amount of pesticide that is used on it. Mass produced coffees are some of the most heavily poisoned crops you get.

I'm very partial to a daily coffee. Freshly ground coffee prepared with care is delicious :)

Instant coffee is disgusting :?
Nayto

Postby Kentucky » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:05 pm

Nayto wrote:Having a certain amount of coffee a day is actually fine and even beneficial for you. Having more than I think 100mg or 150mg of caffeine a day (depending on your body composition) is where it becomes problematic.

Another problem with coffee is the amount of pesticide that is used on it. Mass produced coffees are some of the most heavily poisoned crops you get.

I'm very partial to a daily coffee. Freshly ground coffee prepared with care is delicious :)

Instant coffee is disgusting :?

Drink a pot of coffee a day, BUT it's filtered water and organic beans that I grind myself. The difference between my special import and Folgers or Maxwell House is night and day; never get the jitters with healthy coffee beans. :beer: coffe mugs!!!

Mark
Kentucky

Postby Staropramen » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:04 pm

Mary convinced me to give up coffee. So I geared up to the idea during the holidays and here we are.

Kentucky wrote;

Drink a pot of coffee a day, BUT it's filtered water and organic beans that I grind myself. The difference between my special import and Folgers or Maxwell House is night and day; never get the jitters with healthy coffee beans.

I considered doing this. We'll see how quitting goes. If I get over it and don't miss it then that's that. My problem is at work I drink instant because that's all that's available. At home I've been drinking LavAzza.
-Dr. Wesley A. Swift
Staropramen

Next

Return to Health & Hearth