This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Can't sleep?

Gardening, Homesteading & Other Wholesome Topics

Re: Can't sleep?

Postby Staropramen » Sat May 10, 2014 8:55 am

Joe: emoticons are your friend. 8-)
"If God is a Jew then the only thing left for us to do is commit suicide"
-Dr. Wesley A. Swift
Historical Recordings of interest to Christians;
http://historicalrecordings.net/
Staropramen

Postby Lang » Sat May 10, 2014 5:22 pm

I believe Joe was just kidding. He is the humblest and nicest guy currently active on the forum.

or who did not listen to the weekly podcasts.

I never listened to a podcast, not even a single one. Thats because my english is so poor that I can't understand what people say, I can only read it. That happens because the only practice I have is writing and reading on forums, and there is no one around me to verbally practice with me. People here speak portuguese or german, no one knows english. I have tried to listen to some, but theres no way I can follow it, I can only understand some words out of a full sentence. So I just read the articles.
"Give a hammer to a white, and he will build civilization;
Give a hammer to an asian, and he will build other hammers;
Give a hammer to an arab, and he will kill his wife;
Give a hammer to a nigger, and he will kill whites;
Give a hammer to a jew, and he will sell it to niggers.
"

J.M.
Lang

Postby ElleJay » Sun May 11, 2014 12:05 am

I used to wonder why older people did not sleep well at night. Now I am that person, and I fade in and out of the podcasts routinely. As it is for Joe, it is for me ... dreams become entangled with Bill's voice, sweeping me into a very strange world at times. :?

I do listen to all of the podcasts ... more than once. I have too. With all of the fading in and out, there are many gaps. Even without the gaps, my memory is fading in and out more than it used too :oops: So ... I can listen to a podcast over and over again ... and in a month or two ... listen again and it will be almost new to me ... except I seem to remember the intros the very BEST ... so ... at least I know I have heard a program before from those. ;)

It is true, though (and I don't do it often enough), that when I take the time to set the notes in front of me, I do learn better and retain more. Sometimes (Okay ... rarely, but I did it as recently as last Sunday), I can be found at my computer, Bill's notes copied into a Word document, my phone downloaded with the verbal message, and my fingers on the keyboard adding script that is not in the notes.

One thing that is invaluable, is having all of this information easily accessible. When a certain issue/topic becomes extremely important to me, I sit down at the computer and search topically for articles and messages ... and that is when my attention span stays right on target. Those podcasts that one would think would have worn thin from listening to, fade in and stay in ... and have me hanging on every word.

Anyway ... I do not know Joe, but I read what he wrote and said ... that's me :lol:

Time to turn in ... and put on my insomniac fighter :). (What better way to fall asleep than listening to the Word of Yahweh being expounded!!!)

Sweet dreams to all ... ;)

Elle
ElleJay

Postby Filidh » Wed May 21, 2014 1:45 pm

carrying an mp3 player with you on a walk is really fun. there's a cheap $25 one that takes triple-a batteries so there's no worries about it dying on you, made by the 'craig' company.

anyway, going on walks thru mountains and along rivers with nothing but books and some podcasts on an mp3 player enables you to undistractedly focus on a single point.
real name's trevor :-)
Filidh

Postby Nayto » Tue May 27, 2014 2:57 pm

I usually listen to them in the car on the way to work. All I have to worry about is not getting to into it and crashing :mrgreen:
Nayto

Postby Joe » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:13 am

Bill wrote, some-time ago
Seeing your post, reminded me of a few of the guys from my past. It was not that they were stupid that they could not stay focused on a particular topic for any period of time. It was simply that they were not disciplined. It takes discipline to be able to read a book or listen to a recording and actually remain engaged with the material.

I have certainly found this to be true. I still need discipline, to correct my attention/focus. But I now read the Bible studies at Christogenea because I find it difficult to follow a podcast, I would get caught on one thing said in a podcast, meditate on it, lose track and not really hear anything else. Whereas it is quite easy to check things while reading through with a Bible study.

I think it must be due to certain classes at school. I read some time ago that the way classes are designed today, with short periods and bells, are meant to create a problem for student's attention spans.

I certainly struggle with that even today.
I do still listen to non-Bible study podcast however, which are enjoyable and informative.

This was a regrettable thread on my part. :oops:
...and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Joe

Previous

Return to Health & Hearth