This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Chicken Diet Supplement

Gardening, Homesteading & Other Wholesome Topics

Chicken Diet Supplement

Postby Augustus » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:12 pm

I know I'm going overboard tonight with all the posts, but I'd like to get an elder's perspective on this. About five years ago, I used to raise laying chickens. To support their need for high calcium, I would provide chipped oyster shells, a pretty standard practice. But, does this conflict with the food laws against the bottom-feeding aquatic creatures?
Augustus

Re: Chicken Diet Supplement

Postby Nayto » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:02 pm

I'm not an elder but...

I would say that oyster shells is the least of your worries in the diet of "modern chickens". :?
Nayto

Postby wmfinck » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:52 pm

Chickens naturally eat garden slugs, snails, worms, all sorts of things that we should not eat. Why not oysters?
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby Nayto » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:24 am

wmfinck wrote:Chickens naturally eat garden slugs, snails, worms, all sorts of things that we should not eat. Why not oysters?

Ironically a chicken on the above mentioned natural chicken diet is much more healthy than a modern chicken eating "clean" corn.
Nayto

Return to Health & Hearth