This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Questions on health

Gardening, Homesteading & Other Wholesome Topics

Questions on health

Postby Nayto » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:54 am

I'll try to keep this concise. I have gained quite a lot of knowledge on health and nutrition through heuristic means i.e. I am no expert, but have through experience gleaned plenty. From jewish attacks on our food to exercise to basic nutrition, feel free to ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

If it were up to me, I'd give each Israelite a program to follow to reach Aryan strength and health. I'll settle for Q&A for now though (slightly tongue in cheek).

A bit on myself: I am an intermediate in calisthenics (the real thing, not just sissy pushups) and through proper health have shaken off many "genetic ailments". My wife and I even improved her health to the best it has ever been since hearing moron doctors tell her she had three years to live. Praise God! He has given us the means for good health and I'd like to share what I know.
Nayto

Re: Questions on health

Postby Nayto » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:14 am

Upon reflection, I realized that either people don't care or they don't know enough to ask the right questions. Therefore I will add facts and bust myths as time allows.

First up I will relate the basics of good health: Macronutrient management

Macronutrients are calories, carbohydrates, fats and proteins. Managing the intake of these four things is key to managing the composition of your body in terms of fat and muscle. In the bodybuilding word there is a term, "IIFYM" (If It Fits Your Macros), which basically means that you can eat whatever you want so long as you take in the correct amounts of each macronutrient. This is true in terms of managing the composition of your body, but obviously there are other factors in health, like nutrition/micronutrients. That exceeds the scope of this post though.

Here is a rundown of each macronutrient:

CALORIES

This is a unit of energy. Your body will use a certain amount of energy during the day and you will consume a certain amount of energy during the day and this is measured in calories. Calories can be consumed in the form of fats, carbohydrates or proteins. The amount of calories you need to consume in the day is dependent on your age, sex and size. If you want to gain weight you need to eat more calories than what you are using during the day. If you want to lose weight you need to eat less calories than what you are using during the day. If you want to put on fat just eat whatever you want and eat more calories than what you use. If you want to put on muscle you need to eat an appropriate amount of protein and ensure that you are eating slightly more than what you use (in many cases fat gain is inevitable with muscle gain, but it can be managed).

PROTEIN

This is the "building block" of your muscle. In order to sustain muscle in a sedentary lifestyle you should eat around 1.2g of protein for each kilogram (2.2lbs) of approximate lean body weight. If you want to gain muscle and are exercising appropriately, you need to eat 1.5g - 2g of protein for each kilogram of lean body weight.

FATS

Fats are essential to your bodily function, libido, psychological health and many other things. They are basically complex forms of energy and contain high amounts of energy per gram. You need about 1g of fat per kilogram of body weight, minimum. You can eat as many fats as you want to so long as you get sufficient protein and are within your calorie restrictions, but it is not advisable considering that you run the risk of taking in too many omega-6 fats which is unhealthy for your artery walls.

CARBOHYDRATES

Carbs are anything from white sugar to bread to sweet potato. It is a more simple way in which energy is stored. Carbs are responsible for quicker digested energy as well as building muscular mass. Let me reiterate that: If you want to grow muscle you need carbohydrates. It's a little counter intuitive, but it's a fact. Assuming you are getting enough fats and proteins you can fill up the rest of your calorie intake with carbohydrates. Interestingly, the more you eat fat and protein exclusively, the more your body will switch over to a ketogenic metabolism, where the body becomes better at metabolizing fats into carbohydrates. I don't know much about this though, so I won't comment. I know it's possible though.

That's pretty much it for macronutrients. This is basically for optimum health and managing your body composition and mass. Many people think managing this is ridiculous and symptomatic of some modern culture, but I think it is a blessing from God to have this kind of information. Obviously withing a macronutrient controlled diet, one needs to get the right micronutrients like phytonutrients, minerals and vitamins.

There is a myth that you need to eat your daily requirements in many meals spread over the day but this is simply not true. All that matters is your macro intake over 24 hours.

There is another myth that your breakfast should be big and your dinner should be small. This is also completely untrue. In fact, the opposite is true. When looking at the circadian cycle, the body is busy cleansing just after you wake up and eating too much will actually hinder this process. At most you should eat some fruit in this time. Around mid morning or lunch time should be the first meal. I personally take in most of my macronutrients between 8pm and 11pm just before I go to sleep so that my body has the time off to digest it. This has no effect on how the macronutrients are used i.e. You won't get fat from it and it is not unhealthy.

Last but not least...

FIBER

Fiber is not really a macronutrient, but should be considered. Fiber is basically a substance which cannot be digested and absorbs water. This is critical to your digestive health. The fiber will give bulk and moister to your fecal matter making it expel quicker and easier. How much fiber you need varies from person to person and you just have to test what works for you with trial and error.

That's about it for macronutrient management. I hope this helps some of you.
Nayto

Postby Kentucky » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:19 am

Nayto wrote:Upon reflection, I realized that either people don't care or they don't know enough to ask the right questions.

Thank you for caring for the brethren to provide the information. I'm sure some questions will be forthcoming. This board has been very active in the last week, which is great to see.

Mark
Kentucky

Postby Nayto » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:59 pm

Kentucky wrote:
Nayto wrote:Upon reflection, I realized that either people don't care or they don't know enough to ask the right questions.

Thank you for caring for the brethren to provide the information. I'm sure some questions will be forthcoming. This board has been very active in the last week, which is great to see.

Mark

When I read it again in your quote, it seems quite negative what I said. For the record, it wasn't. Simple matter of fact and anticipation. Thanks though Mark.
Nayto

Postby Nayto » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:35 am

Regarding macronutrient management, there was a bodybuilder who took the one month McDonald's test. He only ate McDonald's, except instead of the moronic parameters of the movie, "Supersize Me", he decided to manage his macronutrients and train as usual at the same time. Obviously he managed his macronutrients more strictly during this time so some of his vitals and gains actually improved.

The point is that even with a food as putrid as McDonald's this guy managed to minimize the negative effects and even improve in some areas just by managing macronutrients and training. I'm sure he had one hell of a rough time detoxing from the chemicals, MSG, horse meat and baby meat, but don't get side-tracked from the point. Also don't eat McDonald's... lol.

I ordered some ice cream this weekend from our usual ice cream lady. She makes ice cream with all natural ingredients and at our request she makes it with all hormone free and organic products. Make no mistake, it's still full of fat and carbohydrates, but if you're managing your macronutrients this is not a bad thing! After having eaten half the tub in one go last night I mentioned to my wife, "You know, at a time I'd have felt guilty now for wasting my time eating this ice cream for such a temporary thing as taste. Now instead I'm feeling good that I've consumed these carbs and fats because my body needs it to repair my body from training. My insulin levels are high enough from training to cope with the sugar spike and it's all natural ingredients so there's absolutely no adverse effect on health. I feel good."

Obviously one shouldn't eat ice cream all the time. You need the micronutrients from other foods like butter or oats for example. Just something to think about.

Also, have a look at my post on the alkalinity of the body: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4792
Nayto

Postby NicoChristian » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Health tips in a nutshell.
-Eat heathily, greens, vegetables, fruits, nuts, honey, meats, eggs, milk, wheat. Make sure it's all natural.
-Avoid genetically modified foods, no need to explain, they are simply bad.
-Buy organic food, it doesn't have pesticides, hebicides, etc.
-Avoid all junk food and processed ready made food. That kind of food is mostly chemicals with a bit of food in it.
-Do as much exercise as possible, anything is better than nothing, don't want to run, then go for a walk, etc.
-Avoid chemicals, birth control pills, excess radiation, pharmaceuticals. For every illness there's a natural remedy.
-Grow your own food, you know where it's come from and it'll 100% natural. Also I can't explain the satisfaction of growing your own food.
-Plant your own fruits, you just need to let them grow and the trees or plants do the work.
YHWH bless.
NicoChristian

Postby Nayto » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:58 am

I just want to point out quickly that fats are critical to a diet. You need to eat fat and if you don't eat at least 0.45g of fat per pound of lean body weight, you are going to suffer the consequences like Inability to absorb fat soluble vitamins, fatigue, inhibited brain function, depression, low sex drive, low hormone production and more.

It goes without saying, but I should probably point it out anyway. Avoid processed fats. Go for fats in raw dairy products, eggs, grass-fed red meat, raw nuts and seeds, coconut oil, etc.
Nayto

Postby Filidh » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:23 am

I've heard some say that eating one meal a day is best, others say that three meals a day is best (granted, with what you said about breakfast, the first would be just an apple or something), others say that 6 tiny meals is best, and still others say that a tiny breakfast + a large lunch + a tiny dinner is the way to go. For the purposes of losing weight (I'm still around 20lbs overweight), what would you recommend?
Last edited by Filidh on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
real name's trevor :-)
Filidh

Postby Nayto » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:45 am

In terms of losing weight, your meal timing doesn't really matter so long as you are eating less energy (calories) than what your body is using during each 24 hour period (per day).

Having said that, for psychological reasons I find skipping breakfast to help me. I'm trying to cut my bodyfat percentage down at the moment (it helps with capisthenics). I'm too busy to get hungry during the day and when I get home, after exercise, I can eat quite a lot, but still eat less energy than what I have used during the day because I haven't eaten much yet at that point. So the result is from 6:30pm to around 9pm I eat a lot of tasty stuff which makes me feel full and psychologically happy, although I will still lose fat. I usually have some pancakes made from bran, pure whey, egg and honey, raw chocolate spread with butter on bread, tea and then some dinner made by my wife which can be a whole range of wholesome, tasty meals. It's loaded with micronutrients, gives me all the macronutrients I need and it tastes great.

Like I say though, it's probably good to have some fruit or fresh juice (especially made from dark green vegetables) in the morning.

Another thing is that the amount you have to eat to create an energy deficit if you aren't doing strength training is so little that I would not be able to do it. I'd strongly recommend getting some strength training going combined with high intensity interval training to really get your metabolism burning like a furnace. That way you can be healthy and strong, eat a fair amount, eat tasty food and lose fat.
Nayto

Postby Deborah » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:46 pm

My evening meals are quite light with meat and carbs, but with plenty of easy to digest high protein foods and lots of veges.

If I have carbs, I want to be working them off, not having them turn to sugar and then to fat as I'm sleeping. Likewise with heavy meat: I want my body to rest at night, not have to work all night at digesting heavy meat consumption.
Deborah

Next

Return to Health & Hearth