This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Ancient Roman Nazis

Discussions about ancient history or the Bible

Ancient Roman Nazis

Postby wmfinck » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:06 am

Found at http://archaicwonder.tumblr.com/post/95581077546/5th-legion-roman-gold-officers-ring-2nd-3rd

5th Legion Roman Gold Officer’s Ring, 2nd-3rd Century AD

The 5th Macedonian Legion (Legio V Macedonia) was founded in the year 43 BC by Octavian, the later Augustus, and Consul Gaius Vibius Pansa Caetroniasus. It existed in Moesia until the 5th century. The 5th Legion was one of the original 28 legions raised by Octavian. It is also the longest lived Roman Legion, spanning 680 years from 43 BC to 637 AD.

Moesia was an ancient region and later Roman province situated in the Balkans, along the south bank of the Danube River. It included most from the territory of modern-day Serbia (without Vojvodina) and the northern parts of the Republic of Macedonia, (Moesia Superior), as well Northern Bulgaria and Romanian Dobrudja, (Moesia Inferior).

The ring is a tapered shank with rectangular panel. Nielloed inscription “LEG V MAC” between two swastikas on top.

5th_Makedon_Legion_Roman_Officer_Ring.jpg
5th_Makedon_Legion_Roman_Officer_Ring.jpg (89.45 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Re: Ancient Roman Nazis

Postby andersonone » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:17 pm

Interesting find for sure! What do you suppose this means?
andersonone

Postby wmfinck » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:24 pm

While the swastika is found on Attic utensils from the 7th century BC, and in Thrace perhaps several centuries before that, and while it is also Hebrew and Phoenician perhaps as early as the 15th century BC, in this case I suspect a connection to Greco-Roman Mithraism, or worship of the Persian sun-idol Mithras. However without some context, it is hard to tell.
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby andersonone » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:31 pm

I feel like I've read somewhere that the swastika resembled the formation of the Israelite camp while they were in the wilderness. I believe that it has also surfaced in other countries like India, etc. It must have always been a white symbol that was taken wherever we travelled.
andersonone

Return to Ancient and Biblical History