This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Deuteronomy 21:10-13

Old Testament religious discussion apart from Biblical history

Deuteronomy 21:10-13

Postby Teutonic » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:08 pm

How are we to interpret these verses? To me it appears as if it is condoning marriage between an Israelite and a woman of an alien nation captured in battle.
Duty, Honour, Sacrifice.
Teutonic

Re: Deuteronomy 21:10-13

Postby wmfinck » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:39 pm

Teutonic wrote:How are we to interpret these verses? To me it appears as if it is condoning marriage between an Israelite and a woman of an alien nation captured in battle.

The men of Israel were permitted to marry women of the other Adamic tribes. They were every bit as as White as the Israelites. Who do you think the 12 sons of Israel had married?

The Syrians, Assyrians, Persians, Midianites (those who had not mixed with the Moabites or Canaanites), Egyptians, etc. were all White and Israelites were permitted to intermarry with them, under the provisions found in the law.
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby Kentucky » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:45 pm

Teutonic wrote:How are we to interpret these verses? To me it appears as if it is condoning marriage between an Israelite and a woman of an alien nation captured in battle.

Just guessing here, but the Divine Law cannot contradict itself as far as race. Therefore, the captives could not have been from the seven nations of Canaan, which were to be put to death. Verse 11 calls the women "beautiful" and Young's Literal Translation uses the word "fair," which would suggest that she was of the White race.

Mark
Kentucky

Postby Teutonic » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:48 pm

Appreciate the responses, Mark and Bill; i recently began reading through the Old Testament again and i frequently encounter potentially confusing and seemingly contradictory verses such as these. However, with a little bit of contextual and historical knowledge it begins to make alot more sense, racially-speaking.
Duty, Honour, Sacrifice.
Teutonic

Return to Old Testament Discussion