This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Can Israelites Have Household Pets?

Old Testament religious discussion apart from Biblical history

Can Israelites Have Household Pets?

Postby Richard1 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:53 am

Hi all,

This may seem like a naive question but I was wondering if it is OK for Israelites to have "unclean" household pets? We have two small ShihTzu dogs that have occupied our household for the past 10 years. Scriptures such as the following have often disturbed us and we wonder if they apply to this situation:

"Or if a soul touch any unclean thing, whether it be a carcase of an unclean beast, or a carcase of unclean cattle, or the carcase of unclean creeping things, and if it be hidden from him; he also shall be unclean, and guilty." (Leviticus 5:2 [KJVA])

"And whatsoever goeth upon his paws, among all manner of beasts that go on all four, those are unclean unto you: whoso toucheth their carcase shall be unclean until the even." (Leviticus 11:27 [KJVA])

Regards,

Richard
Richard1

Re: Can Israelites Have Household Pets?

Postby EzraLB » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:45 pm

I don't see how our ancestors could have been shepherds, ranchers, and farmers without coming into constant contact with animals. It's more important how we treat our animals...

"Whoever is righteous has regard for the life of his beast, but the mercy of the wicked is cruel."

Psalms 12:10
"No Rothschild is English. No Baruch, Morgenthau, Cohen, Lehman, Warburg, Kuhn, Kahn, Schiff, Sieff or Solomon was ever born Anglo-Saxon. And it is for this filth that you fight. It is for this filth that you murdered your Empire. It is this filth that elects, selects, your politicians." -- Ezra Pound
EzraLB

Postby Kentucky » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:35 pm

Richard1 wrote:"Or if a soul touch any unclean thing, whether it be a carcase of an unclean beast, or a carcase of unclean cattle, or the carcase of unclean creeping things, and if it be hidden from him; he also shall be unclean, and guilty." (Leviticus 5:2 [KJVA])

"And whatsoever goeth upon his paws, among all manner of beasts that go on all four, those are unclean unto you: whoso toucheth their carcase shall be unclean until the even." (Leviticus 11:27 [KJVA])

Regards,

Richard

A carcass is the dead body of an animal. The spirit of the Law is suggesting what is put on the dinner table, and if one did touch an unclean animal carcass, then there were provisions to cleanse one's self; one wasn't in sin per se. Furthermore, "Jesus, finding a young donkey, sat on it; as it is written" John 12:14. What is a donkey?

Mark
Kentucky

Postby Richard1 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:53 pm

EzraLB, as a country person, I understand the essential utility of dogs for herding and protection and for cats to control rodents. My concern is whether they should live within a house. Living outside a house I have no problem with.

Mark, yes carcase does refer to a dead animal according to Strong's H5038 but many live unclean animals carry parasites and diseases which are harmful to humans. I wonder if that is a consideration.
Richard1

Postby EzraLB » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:26 am

Richard,
I completely understand what you are saying--both cats and dogs are dirty, and it's obvious when you walk into someone's home who allows pets to walk in and out freely. Even when pet owners think they are keeping their animals and homes clean, they are not--the smell, the hair, the wear and tear is obvious.

My father-in-law grew up on a farm, and he had a dog as a child, but the dog was never allowed in the house, ever. Many pet owners would find that cruel, but the dog got used to it. Some people don't ever let their pets outside, except for calls of nature, but that still makes the house dirty.

I think historically we allowed dogs inside the house for practical reasons--protection and comfort. Before there was central heating, dogs slept in our beds to keep us warm. But none of that is necessary now, and if you want your home to be as clean as possible, you should keep the pets outside. If you need a dog for protection, you'll have to compromise cleanliness for safety.
"No Rothschild is English. No Baruch, Morgenthau, Cohen, Lehman, Warburg, Kuhn, Kahn, Schiff, Sieff or Solomon was ever born Anglo-Saxon. And it is for this filth that you fight. It is for this filth that you murdered your Empire. It is this filth that elects, selects, your politicians." -- Ezra Pound
EzraLB

Postby Richard1 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:53 am

EzraLB, you're making me feel like I've got fleas. :-)
Richard1

Return to Old Testament Discussion