This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

The nephil and rapha of Genesis 6 & 15 question

Old Testament religious discussion apart from Biblical history

The nephil and rapha of Genesis 6 & 15 question

Postby Staropramen » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:49 pm

In Genesis 6 [pre-flood] it reads;

There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God [heaven] came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

"giants" is the Hebrew word "nephil" [Strong's #5303].

In Genesis 15 [post-flood] it reads;

18 In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:
19 The Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites,
20 And the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims,
21 And the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.

"Rephaims" is the Hebrew word "rapha" [Strong's #7497] which means giant.

So as a means of fine tuning the use of these passages to prove that the flood wasn't global am I correct in these regards;

That nephil is a biological term for this hybrid race of giants in the same manner that Adam is a biological term for our race

and

rapha is a "people" group name later associated with the nephil in the same manner that Scythian, German or Roman applies to White people groups?
"If God is a Jew then the only thing left for us to do is commit suicide"
-Dr. Wesley A. Swift
Historical Recordings of interest to Christians;
http://historicalrecordings.net/
Staropramen

Re: The nephil and rapha of Genesis 6 & 15 question

Postby MikeTheAdamite » Thu May 21, 2015 1:21 pm

Sounds about right to me !

What I want to know is -was Cain a giant?is this why Eves pregnancy was painful?I know we are not told that Cain was a giant but we know Genesis chapter 4 was tampered with by the scribes and this could easily have been removed!
We know (almost certainly) that Cain was born of a union between Eve and a fallen angel but does this guarantee Cain was a giant?

[As a side note:from what i understand,Crossing 2 different species can cause giantism-for example the liger is twice the size of a lion or a tiger,and obviously genesis chapter 6 tells us that crossing fallen angels with Adamic women created giants.]
MikeTheAdamite

Postby MikeTheAdamite » Fri May 22, 2015 12:36 pm

(I dont think there is a definate answer to my question so I just stuck it in here rather than start a new thread.)
MikeTheAdamite

Postby wmfinck » Thu May 28, 2015 8:05 am

Staropramen wrote:That nephil is a biological term for this hybrid race of giants in the same manner that Adam is a biological term for our race

and

rapha is a "people" group name later associated with the nephil in the same manner that Scythian, German or Roman applies to White people groups?

The word nephilim (plural for nephil) ostensibly means "fallen ones". Strong primarily interpreted the word to mean a feller, as in one who makes to fall. Either way works.

So nephil is a general term describing "them", the Giants.

Anakim and Rephaim are patronymic names just like Israel or Edom, Midianite or Moabite, meaning that they came from specific individuals. The Rephaim are the sons of the particular nephilim-giant Rapha, and the Anakim are the sons of the particular nephilim-giant Anak.

The books of the Bible seem to take for granted that their readers possess a certain knowledge which would only come from other books now missing in whole or in part, or heavily redacted or otherwise corrupted from their original form. 1 Enoch immediately comes to mind.
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby Kentucky » Thu May 28, 2015 11:15 am

wmfinck wrote:The word nephilim (plural for nephil) ostensibly means "fallen ones". Strong primarily interpreted the word to mean a feller, as in one who makes to fall. Either way works.

So nephil is a general term describing "them", the Giants.

I read an interesting take on the Rockefeller name years ago, which put forth the idea that a feller was one who brought down trees and the rock in the name represents Christ i.e. one who brings down the Tree of Life. The Rockefellers have become the giants of finance along with their co-conspirators, the Rothschilds.

Mark
Kentucky

Return to Old Testament Discussion