This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Bible 101, Some Examples of the Use of the Word Qahal

Old Testament religious discussion apart from Biblical history

Re: Bible 101, Some Examples of the Use of the Word Qahal

Postby wmfinck » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:29 am

Joe wrote:What is Christ talking about in Matthew 19:12.

For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

It is a difficult thing for a man not to marry when he has the opportunity, as Paul explains in 1 Corinthians chapter 7, in a different context. "8 But I say to those unmarried and to those widowed, well for them it is if perhaps they should remain even as I. 9 But if they have no self control, they must marry, for it is better to be married than to be inflamed.... 25 Now concerning virgins, a commandment of the Prince I do not have, but I give an opinion, as one having received mercy from the Prince to be trustworthy. 26 Really then I suppose that to be such is good, because of the present violence, that it is well for a man to be so. 27 Have you been bound to a wife? Do not seek to be released. Have you been released from a wife? Do not seek a wife. 28 But if then you should be married, you have not erred; And if perhaps the virgin should be married, she has not erred; but such as these will have anxiety in the flesh, and for my part, of you I am merciful.... 36 But if one does consider to be unseemly towards his virgin, if perhaps he is beyond adolescence, (and in this way he ought to be,) that which he wishes he must do, he does not err: they must marry. 37 But he who has stood firm, steadfast in his heart, not holding forcibly but who has authority over his own will, and he has decided in his heart to keep himself a virgin, he does well; 38 and therefore he that is giving himself to a virgin in marriage will do well, but he not giving in marriage will do better. "

If you marry a woman who has been put away for reason of fornication, you make yourself a partner in her fornication. That is how I would read verse 9, since Christ is telling us that the only legitimate reason to put away a spouse is for fornication. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 6:16 "Or do you not know that he joining himself to the harlot is one body?"

Christ gave the instruction concerning men who make themselves eunuchs which you have cited from Matthew 19:12 to his disciples in response to their statement that "If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry."

If you remain unmarried for the kingdom of heaven's sake you do well for the cause of God. Not only do you not sin with a harlot, but being a disciple of Christ you may better serve your calling.

Perhaps Paul answers further in 1 Corinthians 9, albeit again in a different context: "1 Am I not free? Am I not an ambassador? Have I not seen Yahshua our Prince? Are you not my work in the Prince? 2 If to others I am not an ambassador, yet at any rate to you I am; indeed the assurance of my message is you in the Prince. 3 My answer to those who examine me is this: 4 Do we not have license to eat and to drink? 5 Do we not have license to always have with us a kinswoman: a wife, as also the other ambassadors, and the brethren of the Prince, and Kephas? ... 12 ... Rather we have not used this authority, but we cover all ourselves, in order that we should not give any hindrance to the good message of the Anointed." Here Paul is explained that he did not take a wife, so that he would not be burdened nor would he burden the assemblies in his mission to spread the gospel of Christ, thereby better serving the people of Yahweh.

Hope this helps
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Re: Bible 101, Some Examples of the Use of the Word Qahal

Postby Joe » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:03 am

Bill said:
If you marry a woman who has been put away for reason of fornication, you make yourself a partner in her fornication. That is how I would read verse 9, since Christ is telling us that the only legitimate reason to put away a spouse is for fornication. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 6:16 "Or do you not know that he joining himself to the harlot is one body?"

By verse 9, you mean Matthew 19:9. And so you were relating fornication to eunuchs, that they are eunuchs because of fornication...

10 His students say to Him “If such is the case concerning the man with a wife, it is no advantage to marry!”

-They are referring to a man who has married an adulterer?, as there is no advantage in that case...

11 Then He said to them: “All do not comprehend this Word but those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who have been born thusly from the womb of a mother, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men

-The eunuchs born from the womb of a mother are born of fornication? (not born without genitalia as I had previously and stupidly thought).

Isa 56:3 Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the LORD, speak, saying, The LORD hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.
Isa 56:4 For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
Isa 56:5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.

These are the Israelites who were separated from God, and therefore their children were not under the Covenant, such that they were eunuchs.

I still think the first reference to eunuchs from the mother's womb is referring to bastards...
...and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Joe

Previous

Return to Old Testament Discussion