This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

strangers in the old testament.

Old Testament religious discussion apart from Biblical history

strangers in the old testament.

Postby MikeTheAdamite » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:25 am

Can anybody establish the accuracy of these definitions?
In the old testament,we have several Hebrew words all translated 'stranger'.The most common being :ger,zuwr and nokriy.
Gir,I believe would be a guest foreigner or kinsman,ie:an adamic man (not necessarily an Israelite)
Zuwr would be specifically a non adamic foreigner (any Canaanite mamzer)
Nokriy could be either an adamic foreigner or a non adamic foreigner.

Can anybody please correct me if any of these definitions you believe are incorrect.
I had believed that Nokriy was specifically non adamic but Ruth descibed herself as Nokriy in Ruth 2:10
MikeTheAdamite

Re: strangers in the old testament.

Postby Lang » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:57 pm

According to Mark Downey: "(...) there are different Hebrew words having different meanings, which have all been translated into one English word… stranger. However, it doesn't take much effort to find out what they are. The stranger in the Deut. example is the Hebrew word 'ger' (#1616 in Strong's Concordance) and means a guest foreigner or a kinsman that sojourns in your land. The stranger in the next example, Numbers 1:51, is the Hebrew word 'zuwr' (#2114) and means a foreigner also, but not as a guest or kinsman; with the proviso of being profane (considered racial pollution and therefore impure and unholy) suggesting adultery (racial adulteration). There is a third stranger in Scripture and the Hebrew word is 'nokriy' (#5237), which comes from the word 'noker' (#5235) and means strange - as something unexpected, like a calamity; 'nokriy' is specifically non-relative and adulterous i.e. they are not related to you genetically."

If Ruth indeed described herself as a nokriy, theres something wrong.
"Give a hammer to a white, and he will build civilization;
Give a hammer to an asian, and he will build other hammers;
Give a hammer to an arab, and he will kill his wife;
Give a hammer to a nigger, and he will kill whites;
Give a hammer to a jew, and he will sell it to niggers.
"

J.M.
Lang

Postby MikeTheAdamite » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Yes,I had used Marks article 'dont talk to strangers' to reach my initial understanding of the Hebrew words,only to be confused by the definition of 'nokriy'.
I have since cleared this up with Marks help to reach the above listed definitions.

Ruth was not misquoted or mistaken in describing herself as Nokriy,as this word can basically be used to describe any foreigner,adamic or non adamic.
MikeTheAdamite

Postby Kentucky » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:19 pm

It was my error and I apologize. It was promptly corrected. Sheesh, I hate it when I do that :oops:

Mark
Kentucky

Postby MikeTheAdamite » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:45 pm

If it wasn't for your article 'don't talk to strangers' Mark,I would never have been made aware of the different hebrew words translated as stranger!I knew about many of the other words that have caused controversy like Man,world,beast,Jew,gentile etc but not Stranger.So full credit to you Mark for bringing it to my attention.
MikeTheAdamite

Postby Rogue » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:29 pm

What about the Foreigner in Deut 28:43 The foreigners who reside among you will rise above you higher and higher, but you will sink lower and lower.

Are they other uses for that also?
One King, One Faith, One Law.
Rogue

Postby MikeTheAdamite » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:17 am

Rogue wrote:What about the Foreigner in Deut 28:43 The foreigners who reside among you will rise above you higher and higher, but you will sink lower and lower.

Interesting find Rogue!
The word here is 'HAG-GER' and does seem to be specifically referring to Non adamic people,but don't quote ne on that please!!
MikeTheAdamite

Postby Kentucky » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:48 pm

MikeTheAdamite wrote:
Rogue wrote:What about the Foreigner in Deut 28:43 The foreigners who reside among you will rise above you higher and higher, but you will sink lower and lower.

Interesting find Rogue!
The word here is 'HAG-GER' and does seem to be specifically referring to Non adamic people,but don't quote ne on that please!!

Chapter 28 is about the blessings and curses. Verse 43 is among the verses that iterate the curses. The stranger in Deut. 28:43, according to Strong's, is #1616, ger, which is a foreigner of our own race. I believe it is talking about the 'useful idiots' of our own race who have become the agents of usury banking and race traitors. This debt-money system has always hired indigenous employees for its kings and priests to insure a profit margin until such time that controls no longer prohibit racial aliens from doing the same thing and thus canceling Deut. 17:15, “You shall surely set him king over you, whom the Lord your God shall choose: one from among your brethren shall you set king over you: you may not set a stranger over you, who is not your brother.” You could call it 'outsourcing antichrist usurers' to the point of a godless one world government and economy.

Mark
Kentucky

Postby MikeTheAdamite » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:45 am

I apologise for my misunderstanding of the translation of foreigner in Deuteronomy 28:43.the hebrew is indeed Ger which I understand to be an Adamic foreigner as Mark has correctly shown.
MikeTheAdamite

Postby wmfinck » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:44 am

A couple of things that are missed in assessing the way in which the various words for stranger were used in the Old Testament Hebrew are these:

1) The colloquial idioms of the various eras. There are, rounding roughly, about 500 years between Moses and Ruth, 1000 years between Moses and Daniel, and 1100 years between Moses and Ezra. We cannot expect the vocabulary to remain absolutely consistent between these distant centuries, and with certainty it did not. Therefore considering the law of God, the usage in the books of Moses should be considered first.

2) The historical perspective and national attitudes. At the time of Ezra and Nehemiah, even "lost" Israelites among the Samaritans were absolutely despised, since they could not document their genealogy. Since the objective of the time was to preserve the racial integrity of the remnant nation, everybody who had no recorded genealogy was evidently a candidate for nokriy status! This attitude, I believe, was carried over into the books of Chronicles, which were compiled around that same time.

[I know, the post is old and I am late. I have 3 pages of bookmarked topics, sorry!]
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Return to Old Testament Discussion