This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Embalming in Genesis 50

Old Testament religious discussion apart from Biblical history

Embalming in Genesis 50

Postby mackdog » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:45 pm

I read in genesis 50:26 about the embalming of Joseph, son of Israel; it says: "So Joseph died, being 110 years old; and they embalmed him, and he was put in a coffin in egypt." Does this mean that his body/mummy could still be buried somewhere in egypt? It would be interesting to see if they could find it someday. What do you all think?
mackdog

Re: Embalming in Genesis 50

Postby EighthDayWoman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:27 pm

Mackdog, according to these sources, the mummy of Joseph was already found.
Hope this was helpful!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuya
Egyptologist Ahmed Osman has suggested an identification between Joseph, the ancient Hebrew patriarch who led the tribe of Israel into Egypt during a famine, and Yuya. Through analysis of anomalous features of the mummy of Yuya as well as linguistic and chronological data, Osman points out how Yuya is the only Egyptian mummy to have his hands placed under his chin rather than across his chest, he has what appears to be Semitic features, and a beard style similar to that of the ancient Hebrews, whereas Egyptian officials were known to shave their facial hair. Additionally, Joseph in the Genesis 45:8 is called "a father of pharaoh" and Yuya is the only Egyptian official to ever have had this title (with the exception of his son, Ay, who held the similar title Itnetjer, or "father of the god") [13]. While this identification hasn't received widespread attention in mainstream Egyptology, it is supported by Ronald E. Clements, Professor of Old Testament Studies at King's College in London.[14]

http://www.burlingtonnews.net/redhairedmummiesegypt.html

http://guywhite.wordpress.com/2009/01/08/egyptian-mummies-with-blond-brown-and-red-hair/
But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me. Luke 19:27
EighthDayWoman

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:11 am

I think the man on the left is definately Isrealite. He has a typical European look for an aged man. The one on the right, in my opinion, is of mixed blood.
Last edited by Michael on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Matthew 7 16-19 KJV
Michael

Postby mackdog » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:31 pm

I probably should have done more research into this topic, it seems like the answer was easy to find LOL. But hey, I had fun asking anyways. :D
mackdog

Return to Old Testament Discussion