This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Physical Descriptions of Yahshua

A Place For the Naysayers to Dispute the Truth, Because Only a JEW Would Deny That Yahshua Christ IS God!!!

Physical Descriptions of Yahshua

Postby PILGRIM » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:28 am

I wasn't sure where to put this subject and this seemed a likely forum. One thing that is difficult is putting flesh and blood on the Bible. Even more challenging is putting flesh and blood on the deity, Yahweh, come to earth as a man. For anyone who may not have encountered these physical descriptions of Yahshua before, I think you may find them quite inspiring. As you read these descriptions from historical figures of the time, try to keep in mind that the person being described is actually God come in the flesh and try to imagine personally encountering this person. It is an awesome thing to contemplate indeed.

The Oldest Views and Literary Data on the External Appearance of Jesus

The Description of Publius Lentullus

The following was taken from a manuscript in the possession of Lord Kelly, and in his library, and was copied from an original letter of Publius Lentullus at Rome. It being the usual custom of Roman Governors to advertise the Senate and people of such material things as happened in their provinces in the days of Tiberius Caesar, Publius Lentullus, President of Judea, wrote the following epistle to the Senate concerning the Nazarene called Jesus.

"There appeared in these our days a man, of the Jewish Nation, of great virtue, named Yeshua [Jesus], who is yet living among us, and of the Gentiles is accepted for a Prophet of truth, but His own disciples call Him the Son of God- He raiseth the dead and cureth all manner of diseases. A man of stature somewhat tall, and comely, with very reverent countenance, such as the beholders may both love and fear, his hair of (the colour of) the chestnut, full ripe, plain to His ears, whence downwards it is more orient and curling and wavering about His shoulders. In the midst of His head is a seam or partition in His hair, after the manner of the Nazarenes. His forehead plain and very delicate; His face without spot or wrinkle, beautified with a lovely red; His nose and mouth so formed as nothing can be reprehended; His beard thickish, in colour like His hair, not very long, but forked; His look innocent and mature; His eyes grey, clear, and quick- In reproving hypocrisy He is terrible; in admonishing, courteous and fair spoken; pleasant in conversation, mixed with gravity. It cannot be remembered that any have seen Him Laugh, but many have seen Him Weep. In proportion of body, most excellent; His hands and arms delicate to behold. In speaking, very temperate, modest, and wise. A man, for His singular beauty, surpassing the children of men"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar

This is a reprinting of a letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar describing the physical appearance of Jesus. Copies are in the Congressional Library in Washington, D.C.

TO TIBERIUS CAESAR:

A young man appeared in Galilee preaching with humble unction, a new law in the Name of the God that had sent Him. At first I was apprehensive that His design was to stir up the people against the Romans, but my fears were soon dispelled. Jesus of Nazareth spoke rather as a friend of the Romans than of the Jews. One day I observed in the midst of a group of people a young man who was leaning against a tree, calmly addressing the multitude. I was told it was Jesus. This I could easily have suspected so great was the difference between Him and those who were listening to Him. His golden colored hair and beard gave to his appearance a celestial aspect. He appeared to be about 30 years of age. Never have I seen a sweeter or more serene countenance. What a contrast between Him and His bearers with their black beards and tawny complexions! Unwilling to interrupt Him by my presence, I continued my walk but signified to my secretary to join the group and listen. Later, my secretary reported that never had he seen in the works of all the philosophers anything that compared to the teachings of Jesus. He told me that Jesus was neither seditious nor rebellious, so we extended to Him our protection. He was at liberty to act, to speak, to assemble and to address the people. This unlimited freedom provoked the Jews -- not the poor but the rich and powerful.

Later, I wrote to Jesus requesting an interview with Him at the Praetorium. He came. When the Nazarene made His appearance I was having my morning walk and as I faced Him my feet seemed fastened with an iron hand to the marble pavement and I trembled in every limb as a guilty culprit, though he was calm. For some time I stood admiring this extraordinary Man. There was nothing in Him that was repelling, nor in His character, yet I felt awed in His presence. I told Him that there was a magnetic simplicity about Him and His personality that elevated Him far above the philosophers and teachers of His day.

Now, Noble Sovereign, these are the facts concerning Jesus of Nazareth and I have taken the time to write you in detail concerning these matters. I say that such a man who could convert water into wine, change death into life, disease into health; calm the stormy seas, is not guilty of any criminal offense and as others have said, we must agree -- truly this is the Son of God.

Your most obedient servant,
Pontius Pilate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Archko Volume"

Another description of Jesus is found in "The Archko Volume" which contains official court documents from the days of Jesus. This information substantiates that He came from racial lines which had blue eyes and golden hair. In a chapter entitled "Gamaliel's Interview" it states concerning Jesus (Yeshua) appearance:

"I asked him to describe this person to me, so that I might know him if I should meet him. He said: 'If you ever meet him [Yeshua] you will know him. While he is nothing but a man, there is something about him that distinguishes him from every other man. He is the picture of his mother, only he has not her smooth, round face. His hair is a little more golden than hers, though it is as much from sunburn as anything else. He is tall, and his shoulders are a little drooped; his visage is thin and of a swarthy complexion, though this is from exposure. His eyes are large and a soft blue, and rather dull and heavy....' This Jew [Nazarite] is convinced that he is the Messiah of the world. ...this was the same person that was born of the virgin in Bethlehem some twenty-six years before..."

- The Archko Volume, translated by Drs. McIntosh and Twyman of the Antiquarian Lodge, Genoa, Italy, from manuscripts in Constantinople and the records of the Senatorial Docket taken from the Vatican of Rome (1896) 92-93

Josephus, the "Antiquities Of The Jews"

This is a quote from Josephus, from his historical first-century writings entitled, "Antiquities Of The Jews," Book #18, Chapter 2, section 3.

"Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day, as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day."

SOURCE: http://www.thenazareneway.com/likeness_of_our_saviour.htm
PILGRIM

Re: Physical Descriptions of Yahshua

Postby matthewott » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:54 pm

The only description I was ever aware of was the letter from Pilate. Thank you sooo much for the research Pilgrim!
For the Word of Yahweh is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Heb. 4:12
matthewott

Postby CreationTruth » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:01 am

There is a reasonable dispute on the version of the writings of Josephus and the "Antiquities Of The Jews" that is going around.

It is believed that the version that is out there is a late forgery. There is little doubt that Josephus wrote about Christ. I believe it was the writings of Origen back in 240 ad. which is said to be genuine that spoke about Josephus' writings and said that Josephus did not speak favorable about Christ or believe he was the Christ..

Can we expect a Jewish writer of that era to go against the lame-stream Jewish thinking that was present?
Hardly

SongsofSolomon 5:10 My beloved is white and ruddy, the chiefest among ten thousand.
CreationTruth

Postby Les » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:08 am

just adding, that the quote mentioned from "Antiquities Of The Jews," Book #18, Chapter 2, section 3.
in the book version I own,
it is in Chapter 3,verse 3.

Thanks for posting the info.

When I have mentioned Pilate's letter, atheists always will say it is a forgery, and "Christ never existed" , etc
Les

Postby ArthurLee » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:26 pm

My eyes well up with tears and my heart 'with joy, as I ponder that one day, when I shall look upon the face of my precious Redeemer.
"Blessed are those who are hungering and thirsting for righteousness, because they shall be satiated." -Matthew 5:6
ArthurLee

Postby CairinDaithe » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Thankful for this! My mother has been trying to blast through the barrier with my father, who is convinced that Jesus appeared as a mongoloid, and as such, she has wanted writings like this to show to him. I only knew of two of these, so I'll pass this whole post on to her so she has more. :) I wish the writings weren't translated to include the word "jew." My mother knows the difference, but my father does not, so I may have to put in some notes. Stubborn old men...
CairinDaithe

Postby Acrimonious » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:38 pm

Some people don't want to accept the facts; sadly, these people are the teachers, the journalists, and the politicians who work in concert to implement anti-Christian policies in our nations. The tail truly has become the head, and it's time for a guillotine. Christ will have His victory.
Acrimonious

Postby DamianNewman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:48 pm

These are all true accounts of Jehovah in the flesh, Jesus, and aren't forgeries.
DamianNewman

Postby Staropramen » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:46 am

PILGRIM wrote:Jesus of Nazareth spoke rather as a friend of the Romans than of the Jews.

Of course, the Romans were Israelites and the Judeans were a hodgepodge of races including some Israelites but with foreigners dictating religious life via perversions. Pilate must have been referring to Christ's battles with the Edomite kikes.
"If God is a Jew then the only thing left for us to do is commit suicide"
-Dr. Wesley A. Swift
Historical Recordings of interest to Christians;
http://historicalrecordings.net/
Staropramen

Next

Return to Yahshua Christ IS Yahweh