This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

A New Forum - the Inevitable is Coming

Necessary Notices and Policies - All New Users Agree to Read These Notices Before Proceeeding to Peruse This Board!!!

A New Forum - the Inevitable is Coming

Postby wmfinck » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:46 pm

I posted a similar notice here a year or so ago, and was disappointed with the feedback.

I am persuaded that some time in December I will replace this software with vBulletin 5. That is similar to the software used by Stormfront. The benefits are many.

The obvious ones are :
1) Enhanced media capabilities
2) Mobile-friendly interface
3) Community and Social Networking improvements
4) Additional user-oriented features, such as blogs, detailed profile pages, friend networks, etc.
5) Security
6) Extensibility

With each passing month, this software becomes more obsolete, and eventually that will cause both compatibility problems, as I update the other Christogenea servers, and also security problems. Already, this forum software failed to install on our newest server.

There are several ways I can approach this, and how I do it may depend on the feedback I get here from our community.

One option:

I can preserve this forum, giving it read-only status after a predetermined period. That would be the best route for the preservation of search engine results, and for the sake of leaving a lot of our old "baggage" behind. There would also be no "down" time if this method were chosen.

That would require the new forum to be on a different subdomain (i.e. http://newforumdomain.christogenea.org).

Another option:

I can probably import all of the topics and posts here to the new forum, as well as the user accounts, and that may be the preferred method since none of our current discussions would be lost. I would still drop most of the inactive users, something I am thinking of doing soon anyway.

In any event, admins and moderators will have different roles, and there will be more specific roles for what may be a greater number of moderators, provided there are sufficient volunteers. But we do not have to discuss that aspect yet.

Forum registration will once again be opened so that I do not have to do it myself, and we may even leave a section open for the public, as we once had here, although it would have to be heavily moderated.

If we open forum registration, that would give the moderators, who really don't need to do much here, some real need to fulfill moderation tasks.

I plan to set up vBulletin on a test subdomain in November, and make some solid decisions as I become familiar with its capabilities.
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Return to Notices