This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Did Messiah Die on a Cross or a Stake???

Discussions concerning the New Testament

Did Messiah Die on a Cross or a Stake???

Postby JoePennsylvania » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:49 pm

JoePennsylvania

Re: Did Messiah Die on a Cross or a Stake???

Postby PILGRIM » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:27 pm

I repeat my question from a chat room somewhere on this ... how does one get crucified on a stake?

As for that theologian, whoever, whatever he is, he at least makes one accurate statement:

"I'm really just a boring, conservative pastor and I start everyday reading the New Testament," he says. "But my suggestion is that we should read the text as it is, not as we think it is."

Wonder if he ever reads the OT?
PILGRIM

Postby bamaman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:50 pm

I think Samuelsson is a Jew. Whether YAHSHUAH was nailed to a stake, pole, tree trunk,
it does not matter. He died to redeem Israel, point blank.

The reason I think Samuelsson is a Jew is because his name seems a little fishy. If you do
check out the concordance it will cite a stake of pole for definition of the word cross.

Just like the brazen serpent was raised in the wilderness so was the Son of Man raised.

I believe that God has a pattern that he goes by, and things in the Old Testament will shed
light on things in the New Testament.

As far as Christ being impaled, I do not personally believe our Savior was impaled, might have
been nailed to a pole or stake but no impaling.

I can be wrong, so everyone just check it out and see what you all come
up with.

I do not have all knowledge and wisdom, I am a dumb country boy who has never been to
Cemetery, I mean Seminary. I can just be wrong and apostate in thinking and need correcting.

I don't claim to have any absolute answers, just throwing thoughts out there.
bamaman

Postby JoePennsylvania » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:08 am

bamaman wrote: If you do check out the concordance it will cite a stake of pole for definition of the word cross.

From the Greek Lexicon #4716. stauros stow-ros' from the base of 2476; a stake or post (as set upright), i.e. (specially), a pole or cross (as an instrument of capital punishment); figuratively, exposure to death, i.e. self-denial; by implication, the atonement of Christ:--cross
JoePennsylvania

Postby bamaman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:55 am

Thanks for the info. Really, I am not apostate in thinking but most preachers have
called me everything under the sun. Some people think I am a heretic because I do
not believe in a rapture. I was not being hostile to anyone, just sarcastic towards
myself.
bamaman

Postby wmfinck » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:15 pm

I wrote about this somewhere else. The earliest Latin manuscripts all have crux, cross, wherever the Greek has stauros. Yes, a stauros is a stake, as something stuck into the ground, from a Greek verb starizo which means to make fast, and stanai meaning to stand, None of this rules out the stake's having had a cross-member. In fact, if the Greeks wanted to imply that the stake was a straight pale, they could have used a word which meant that more specifically: charax.

It takes more than a Concordance to understand the Greek language.
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Return to New Testament Discussion