This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Noun or Adjective

Discussions concerning the New Testament

Noun or Adjective

Postby Kentucky » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:12 am

I received an email from Hank Roelofs (Christian Identity Ministries - Australia) the other day and thought I would share it:

I think it would be very helpful to people's understanding of the Scripture, if the word
'christ' was translated in every instance, and not continually used as a transliterated noun.
Take for example: "The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our LORD and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever." Rev 11:15
Clearly this is not saying that the kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord and of his Jesus.
So, as in Psalm 2;2 - It should be "of our Lord and and his anointed (people)"
The Bible says - and you shall call His name JESUS. So please do that, and do not call Him 'christ' unless
prefixing the definite article - THE ANOINTED. But do translate it.
Thank you!

My reply was:
"Hi Hank,
Didn't know if this was to me personally or your mailing list. But, the Christogenea NT translates thusly: "15 And the seventh messenger sounded the trumpet, and there were great voices in heaven saying “The Kingdom of the Society of our Prince and of His Anointed has come, and He shall rule for the eternal ages!” If you're not familiar with the CNT, here's Bill's link:

http://christogenea.org/CNT/contents

Mark

his reply:
Hi Mark,
No it was not to you personally but to a whole heap of people. I get so tired of reading and hearing people refer to Jesus as 'christ' as though it was His surname.
Even when reading Galatians 3, they can't seem to grasp that "anointed" are the Isaacsons, the people of God.
Even in your translation below, there seems to be that "blank" as Anointed is an adjective, so what is it describing? The anointed nation of Israel (singular) or people (plural)?
Blessings
Hank
Kentucky

Re: Noun or Adjective

Postby wmfinck » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:36 pm

Wow, Hank seems to be ignorant of the Greek Substantive, a frequently used grammatical construct in which an adjective, or even a verb, is used as a noun, often a proper noun, or in which a common noun is used as a proper noun. A Substantive is a group of words which are not necessarily nouns by themselves, but which are used as a noun. Often in Greek, definite article + adjective = noun. Or definite article + participle = noun. Or definite article + noun = proper noun.

That is why in that passage "anointed" is capitalized.

Perhaps Hank can benefit from this: Yahweh's Anointed: The Children of Israel

Often, in context, ὁ χριστός (the definite article with the adjective χριστός) is a noun referring to Yahshua Christ, where Christ is not a last name, but a title referring to "the Anointed One". But often, as that essay seeks to point out, it refers instead to the people of Christ, the Anointed collectively. In order to distinguish, the context must be observed.

In order to understand Revelation 11:15, one must first understand that the title κύριος was used throughout the New Testament to refer to either Yahweh, the God of the Old Testament whom Christ called "God the Father", or to Yahshua Christ Himself. But if one also understands that Yahshua could bear that title only because, as He informed us, "I and My Father are One", it makes no sense to interpret Revelation 11:15 as if to be saying that the kingdoms of this world will belong to The Lord the Father and The Christ the Son, who are actually one and the same in the first place. Rather, it should be interpreted to be saying that the Kingdoms of this world will belong to the Lord Jesus Christ and His Anointed people, which would fulfill the promises made in the prophets.

Isaiah 54:3 wrote: For thou shalt break forth on the right hand and on the left; and thy seed shall inherit the Gentiles, and make the desolate cities to be inhabited.

Isaiah 27:6 wrote:He shall cause them that come of Jacob to take root: Israel shall blossom and bud, and fill the face of the world with fruit.
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Return to New Testament Discussion