This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

James 1:12-15

Discussions concerning the New Testament

James 1:12-15

Postby Teutonic » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:12 pm

Question regarding the use of the term 'trial' here, in verse 12 it reads: "blessed is a man who endures trial, because approved he shall receive the crown of life which He promised to those who love Him."

Yet in verses 13-14: "No one being tried must say that "From Yahweh I am tried"! For Yahweh is not able to be tempted by evil, and He tries no one, but each is tried by his own desires being drawn out and enticed."

Does the usage of 'trial' here apply exclusively to that of temptation or also to those trials brought on by adverse circumstances, such as sickness or poverty? I understand that God does not tempt us, that is of our own doing, but from whence do other types of trials come then if not from God?
Duty, Honour, Sacrifice.
Teutonic

Re: James 1:12-15

Postby Joe » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:31 am

I thought about your question for a long time.

I suppose it is talking of two different things, a man who resists temptation and a man who endures trials which test his faith ...such as sickness and poverty, which are also brought about by disobedience to God. The world also persecutes those who are not of the world (1 Peter 4:4).

Would those adverse circumstances exist if people obeyed God as a nation.

In the curses for disobedience in Deuteronomy it lists those punishments for not obeying God's Law, which is the natural effect of disobeying God. It is cause and effect, Israel brought these circumstances upon themselves. Including sickness and poverty yet Christ healed the sick and ministered to the poor.

Deu 28:22 The LORD shall smite thee with a consumption, and with a fever, and with an inflammation, and with an extreme burning, and with the sword, and with blasting, and with mildew; and they shall pursue thee until thou perish.

Deu 28:33 The fruit of thy land, and all thy labours, shall a nation which thou knowest not eat up; and thou shalt be only oppressed and crushed alway:

Deu 28:48 Therefore shalt thou serve thine enemies which the LORD shall send against thee, in hunger, and in thirst, and in nakedness, and in want of all things: and he shall put a yoke of iron upon thy neck, until he have destroyed thee.

But these trials also bring us to Christ.

Heb 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
Heb 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

2Ch 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

And Christ took our curses upon Himself.

1Pe 4:12 Beloved, do not be astonished by the burning among you taking place for a trial for you, as if a strange thing is happening to you,
1Pe 4:13 but just as you partake in the sufferings of Christ you rejoice, in order that also in the revelation of His honor, exulting you would rejoice.

1Pe 1:6 In which you must rejoice, if for a short time now it is necessary being pained by various trials,
1Pe 1:7 in order that the test of your faith, much more valuable than gold which is destroyed even being tested by fire, would be found in praise and honor and dignity at the revelation of Yahshua Christ,
Last edited by Joe on Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
...and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:07 am

Just had to add these verses to make it my thoughts more clear.

So Christ took those curses upon Himself.

Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

And if we are part of His body, then we can be redeemed from our sins.

Rom 6:8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we also will live with Him,
...and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Joe

Postby Teutonic » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Appreciate the thorough response Joe, and sorry for the late response.

I suppose that some confusion can arise due to the many versions of 'trial', including 1.) A hardship inflicted on the deserving as a punishment for their transgressions 2.) A hardship inflicted on the undeserving, as a test of their faith. And 3.) A trial in the sense of a worldly temptation, brought upon by our own lusts and desires.

I can understand type 3, but it's 1 and 2 that I don't quite understand sometimes. For instance, there are alot of ungodly people who never seem to endure any hardship, just like there are alot of righteous people who never seem to get a break in life.
Duty, Honour, Sacrifice.
Teutonic

Postby Joe » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:07 am

Well I hope our fellows see your question and try to provide an answer from the Bible. As I don't want to just give you my thoughts/opinion. I do think we can work together and use the Bible as an authority.

For instance, there are alot of ungodly people who never seem to endure any hardship, just like there are alot of righteous people who never seem to get a break in life.

Because all which is in Society, the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the pretense of life, is not from of the Father but is from of Society, 17 and the Society passes on, and its desire, but he doing the will of Yahweh abides forever.

The pretense of life; the house, the car and the wife and good job. But what is the value of selling yourself to that system, what is the value of a marriage not founded on God, what is the value of friends who are more interested in themselves than the people around them. The house built on sand.

Mat 16:25 For he who would wish to save his life shall lose it, and he who would lose his life because of Me shall find it!
Mat 16:26 For what shall it benefit a man if perhaps he should gain the whole society but his life is lost? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his life?

The Bible speaks of the treasure that does not fade, it speaks of the rich man, it speaks of the trial of Job. Some of those people, with great houses built on sand are going to be the most vulnerable in the days to come. I guess some people are content with those things, but they must not have the greater treasure. They are impoverished. And they will be weeping when babylon falls.

Mat 24:37 For just as the days of Noah, thusly shall be the coming of the Son of Man.
Mat 24:38 For as they were in those days before the deluge eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the vessel,
Mat 24:39 and they did not know until the deluge had come and all were taken, thusly shall be the coming of the Son of Man.

I really see it as some people going along with the world, and the evil of it, to avoid hardship and to gain things that are ultimately empty. And they will be ashamed before God
Their trial has not come yet, but when it does come it will be the judgement of God.

I am not aware of any wealthy Christian identists, and that is the true treasure. We may experience trial now, being against the world, but we will be judged more fairly before God.

God disciplines His people first, and part of that discipline is that ungodly men rule over us. But their judgement is coming.
Joe

Postby wmfinck » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:23 pm

James Chapter 1 wrote:12 Blessed is a man who endures trial, because being approved he shall receive the crown of life which He promised to those who love Him. 13 No one being tried must say that “From Yahweh I am tried”! For Yahweh is not able to be tempted by evil, and He tries no one, 14 but each is tried by his own desires being drawn out and enticed. 15 Then the desire conceiving gives birth to error, and the error being accomplished brings forth death.

A lot of commentators see a conflict between this verse and Matthew chapter 6, where in teaching the apostles how to pray Christ says in His prayer “and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil”. Many even want to amend the King James translation here, however the verb is translated correctly. Does God lead men into temptation? The truth is that Yahweh, being God, cannot help but know long in advance what trials men must face, what temptations they shall encounter, and what men will either succumb to or overcome. The prayer of Christ acknowledges the ultimate sovereignty of God. The admonition by James reminds us that we cannot blame God when we succumb to temptation. Yahweh allowed Job to be tempted and tried by the Adversary, and Job was considered righteous because he did not curse Yahweh for his misfortune, as the Adversary vainly claimed that he would.

James describes here the stages of sin. If the error conceived in the thought is not actually performed, there is no need for judgement. This passage exposes the folly of Ted Weiland and all of those clowns who claim that Eve was somehow only mentally deceived. Paul explains, that while Eve was deceived, sin came into our Society through Adam when the transgression occurred. Here we see that sin demands an act, and not merely a thought, and that judgement would be executed if the act occurs: the result of which is death. Unlike the government and the jews, there are no thought crimes before God. There are evil thoughts, but evil thoughts which are not performed are not punished by the law. Judgment requires an actual act in order to be executed.

James Chapter 1 - January 6th, 2012
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Return to New Testament Discussion