This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Galatians: pronouncing the word Γαλάται

Discussions concerning the New Testament

Galatians: pronouncing the word Γαλάται

Postby wmfinck » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:41 pm

These are the opening notes to my program this coming Friday, which is July 31st.

Before we begin I would like to make a quick explanation of my pronunciation of the Greek word Γαλάται, which we usually see in English as Galatians. When I first started to learn Koine Greek it was in isolation, rather than in a university, so sounding out the words in my head I decided it best to use the pronunciation guide provided by James Strong in his famous Concordance. Since then, I have seen alternative pronunciation guides, mostly based on what they call modern Greek, and to me Strong's shall remain the authority since for various reasons I must reject modern Greek as being anything like Classical Greek, and because I find Strong's pronunciation guide to make good linguistic sense.

Of course, Γαλάται, which ends in the letter combination α-ι, is plural for Γαλάτης, and Strong does not give pronunciations for the plural forms of words in his Dictionary. I understand that there are many who would pronounce Γαλάται as gal-a-tay, and with them I do not agree. [The αι diphthong is not a replacement for the η.] The same crowd also mispronounces the word Zion. But if one turns to the pronunciation guide provided by Strong in his original Concordance, which is on the very first page of his Greek dictionary under the heading Greek Articulation, there is a guide for pronouncing Greek letters and diphthongs. There Strong says in section 3 of his guide that the α-ι letter combination should be pronounced ah'ee, which in English he expresses as a short a followed by a long e. Therefore this is the way I always pronounce that letter combination. Examining the rest of Strong's pronunciation guide, I would also be vindicated for the way in which I say Zion, while my critics would rather follow the Jews.

Strong_Greek_Articulation.jpg
Strong_Greek_Articulation.jpg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 1980 times
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Re: Galatians: pronouncing the word Γαλάται

Postby wmfinck » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:44 pm

The relevant section of the high-resolution scan posted above:

Strong_Greek_Articulation_relevant_section.jpg
Strong_Greek_Articulation_relevant_section.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1978 times
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby EzraLB » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:36 am

Bill, I hope you're not trying to suggest that the Galations weren't Jews but rather White Israelites. We all know that Paul was a Jew, and that everywhere he went, his mission was to convert Roman, Galatian, Philippean, and Corinthian Jews, at least according to the Catholic Church :lol:

I've known one particular Catholic priest for many years, and he knows my CI take on Paul. I've pointed out to him on many occasions, citing Scripture and the translation problems, how Paul emphasized Israel only "according to the flesh" and the numerous examples of the racial exclusivity of Paul's Epistles. To give the priest credit, he actually did concede that I may, in fact, be right.

However, he went on to say the following, "I don't really care what the Bible actually may or may not say. For me, Church Doctrine takes precedence over whatever the Bible says."

Maybe the next time the Church sends him to Panama or Guatemala, he won't be so sure of the legitimacy of his missionary work. At least I've planted the seed, and he can't claim ignorance when his time comes...
"No Rothschild is English. No Baruch, Morgenthau, Cohen, Lehman, Warburg, Kuhn, Kahn, Schiff, Sieff or Solomon was ever born Anglo-Saxon. And it is for this filth that you fight. It is for this filth that you murdered your Empire. It is this filth that elects, selects, your politicians." -- Ezra Pound
EzraLB

Postby wmfinck » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:06 am

EzraLB wrote:However, he went on to say the following, "I don't really care what the Bible actually may or may not say. For me, Church Doctrine takes precedence over whatever the Bible says."

Wow, just like the Talmudic rabbis, they think there is authority higher than God.
wmfinck
Site Admin

Return to New Testament Discussion