This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Philippians 2:14: Epistle To The Filipinos

Discussions concerning the New Testament

Philippians 2:14: Epistle To The Filipinos

Postby EzraLB » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:57 am

The KJV universalist translation of Philippeans 2:14 is so deceptively translated that it might as well be titled "Paul's Epistle To The 'Filipinos," probably one of the most mongrelized Asian races:

"Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world."

The Christogenea NT's translation reveals just how audaciously deceptive the KJV is--and how the original koine Greek reveals one of the most unambiguous statements about the House of Israel being perfect in the generation of their seedline:

"Do all things apart from murmuring and disputing, that you would be perfect and with unmixed blood, blameless children of Yahweh in the midst of a race crooked and perverted--among whom you appear as luminaries in the Society."

I have read Bill's explanation of why he is justified in translating the passage in this way, but it is inconceivable to me that the KJV were not fully aware of what the original koine Greek actually said. It is jaw-dropping in it's deceit. If there was ever a "smoking gun" in the NT proving the racial message of Christ's mission, this is it.

My question is, in addressing potential naysayers, is there any possibility that the Greeks used "unmixed blood" as a figure of speech, a metaphor to something else, such as "spiritual purity"? This is what detractors would probably claim. Are there other examples in Greek that clearly show that this expression should be taken literally, not metaphorically?
"No Rothschild is English. No Baruch, Morgenthau, Cohen, Lehman, Warburg, Kuhn, Kahn, Schiff, Sieff or Solomon was ever born Anglo-Saxon. And it is for this filth that you fight. It is for this filth that you murdered your Empire. It is this filth that elects, selects, your politicians." -- Ezra Pound
EzraLB

Re: Philippians 2:14: Epistle To The Filipinos

Postby Joe » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:28 am

Philippians 2:14-16: “14 Do all things apart from murmuring and disputing, 15 that you would be perfect and with unmixed blood, blameless children of Yahweh in the midst of a race crooked and perverted - among whom you appear as luminaries in the cosmos, 16 upholding the Word of Life for a boast with me in the day of Christ, that not in vain have I run nor in vain have I labored.”

The word “blameless” here is from ἄμωμος (299), from α- (English un-) and μῶμος (3470, in the N.T. only at II Peter 2:13), “blame, ridicule, disgrace”; “perfect” is from ἄμεμπτος (273), from α- and μέμφομαι (of which the verb , 3201, is found at Rom. 9:19 and Heb. 8:8) “to be blamed, blameworthy” (L&S), where ἄμεμπτος is defined “not to be blamed, blameless...of things, perfect in its kind...” (L&S). The phrase “with unmixed blood” is from ἀκέραιος, which primarily means “unmixed, pure in blood” and is derived from α- (un-) and the verb κεράννυμι “to mix, mingle...” (L&S). Set in contrast to the phrase γενεᾶς (γενεά, 1074, “race, stock, family” - L&S) σκολιᾶς καὶ διεστραμμένης “a race crooked and perverted” it is both morally and intellectually dishonest to gloss over or ignore the message of racial purity meant by Paul in his use of ἄμεμπτος and ἀκέραιος which are also joined here with the entreaty to “do all things” (v. 14) surely referring to every “jot and tittle” of the law (without the rituals, the ordinances which are the “works of the law”), the “Word of Life” of v. 16. This is a clear racial message and it is absolutely ignored by all modern translators and professional churchmen.

http://christogenea.org/podcasts/errors ... 1-08-21-10

The passages on race are always the most revealing when you read the CNT, because they are always translated poorly elsewhere. It really has an impact when you compare the CNT to the KJV, suddenly it all makes sense. And that personal revelation is a great blessing.

The opening chapter of John really had an impact on me, it says it all, including this on race;

Joh 1:12 But as many who received Him, He gave to them the authority which the children of Yahweh are to attain, to those believing in His Name:
Joh 1:13 not those from of mixed origin nor from of desire of the flesh nor from of the will of man, but they who have been born from Yahweh.
...and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:39 am

Ezra wrote
My question is, in addressing potential naysayers, is there any possibility that the Greeks used "unmixed blood" as a figure of speech, a metaphor to something else, such as "spiritual purity"? This is what detractors would probably claim. Are there other examples in Greek that clearly show that this expression should be taken literally, not metaphorically?

It isn't being used in a metaphorical sense, the context is consistent with the actual definition of the words.
For example, if the context was talking about the land, two rivers, and you were using a metaphor about the rivers being the blood of the land..., then the context would require it to be a metaphor, but this isn't the case with this verse. Also the Greek words don't seem to allow that from what I am reading in Bill's explanation.

You cannot make a metaphor about the land being like 'mud', that would cause confusion. One would assume that the soil of the land is muddy, rather than some other possible quality. Likewise you cannot make a metaphor about people using 'blood' because it will be assumed it is referring to an aspect of their lineage. It would have to be pretty cryptic, specialized or convoluted to make a metaphor out of this, but ultimately I think it is unworkable for the reason I stated.

But I could make a metaphor about a jew being like mud; to suggest, perhaps, that they are dirty or some other quality.

Unmixed blood would be difficult to use as a metaphor given the context, because 'blood' would have to stand for something else, associated with a people (the context), that it is important not to mix. So I think, logically and in my opinion, it is unlikely to be a figure of speech.
...and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Joe

Postby wmfinck » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:05 am

The word in question is not any word for blood. There is no word for blood in the passage. Rather, the word is ἀκέραιος. Here is what my original explanation said of that word:

The phrase “with unmixed blood” is from ἀκέραιος, which primarily means “unmixed, pure in blood” and is derived from α- (un-) and the verb κεράννυμι “to mix, mingle...” (L&S).

Of course, in other contexts ἀκέραιος can mean other things. If it were talking about the confluence of waters in a bay by the sea, I might translate it as brackish. But here the discussion is about race and people in respect to the Law of God, the context being supplied by the other terms which Paul has used, for which I said:

Set in contrast to the phrase γενεᾶς (γενεά, 1074, “race, stock, family” - L&S) σκολιᾶς καὶ διεστραμμένης “a race crooked and perverted” it is both morally and intellectually dishonest to gloss over or ignore the message of racial purity meant by Paul in his use of ἄμεμπτος and ἀκέραιος

So the word blood, in the phrase unmixed blood, comes only from a correct interpretation of ἀκέραιος.

The page below is a high-res scan of page 26 of my Intermediate Liddel & Scott Lexicon, which I used for most of my studies although now I also have and use the larger edition.

If you look you will find ἀκέραιος in the second column, and I have a footnote I made referring me to Euripides, Phoenician Women, lines 942-943. Surely I will use this reference in my upcoming commentary on this epistle (which is why I made such references).
Attachments
L-and-S_Int_p0026.jpg
L-and-S_Int_p0026.jpg (3.44 MiB) Viewed 2307 times
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby wmfinck » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:26 am

Here is the page from the Loeb Classical Library edition of Euripides, Volume 5 pages 314-315 which was translated by David Kovacs and published in 2002.

Harvard has slowly been updating many of the LCL translations, since most of them were made in the 1920's or 30's or maybe even earlier. A lot of the LCL books I have are still the older translations, but I cannot afford to buy the rest before Harvard updates them all.

Yet Kovacs' translation of ἀκέραιος here is good, and why wouldn't it be? Don't these words suddenly change their meanings only in the Bible?

Here, as in Paul's writing, ἀκέραιος used of people means unmixed in blood.

If we look at line 943 on the page below, it begins with ἀκέραιος, and that word with the rest of the text on the line is translated by Kovacs to read "of pure lineage on your mother's and father's side."
Attachments
Euripides_LCL_Vol5_314-0315.jpg
Euripides_LCL_Vol5_314-0315.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 2306 times
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby EzraLB » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:08 pm

Bill, thanks for clarifying that. There is definitely no wiggle room with the correct translation.

I have to wonder if there aren't some rough drafts or translation notes of the KJV hidden away somewhere in a British museum or library. I'm sure it was done by committee. Those notes would be fascinating to read because we could see how they wrestled with the race issue. It must have been discussed--because they couldn't have removed almost all traces of it without it being a conscious decision.
"No Rothschild is English. No Baruch, Morgenthau, Cohen, Lehman, Warburg, Kuhn, Kahn, Schiff, Sieff or Solomon was ever born Anglo-Saxon. And it is for this filth that you fight. It is for this filth that you murdered your Empire. It is this filth that elects, selects, your politicians." -- Ezra Pound
EzraLB

Return to New Testament Discussion