This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Water Baptism

Discussions concerning the New Testament

Water Baptism

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:15 am

Why did John the Baptist immerse in the Jordan for a remission of errors?
Is it somewhere else in the Old Testament or part of his own message?
...and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Joe

Re: Water Baptism

Postby Nayto » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:19 am

Mark's series on baptism is a good start: http://kinsmanredeemer.com/church-slam-dunk-part-1

To answer the question in short, it is unlikely that they were fully immersed. It was a washing symbolic of some Levitical ordinances.
Nayto

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:27 am

And he was a Levite, so that makes sense. He must have decided to work in the desert instead of the temple. That is amazing.
...and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Joe

Postby Kentucky » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:39 am

Joe wrote:And he was a Levite, so that makes sense. He must have decided to work in the desert instead of the temple. That is amazing.

Bill mentioned last weekend that a common misperception is that ancient Israel was a desert as it is today. There were many rivers and creeks etc that have since dried up. White Nationalists are fond of characterizing CI as followers of a desert religion, however that was simply not the case. Nayto's link to 'Church of the Slam Dunk' took me 6 months to research and several questions, such as yours, IMHO have been resolved. I would read it along with Bill's article 'Baptism In What?'

Mark
Kentucky

Postby wmfinck » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:59 pm

Why Christ was baptized, and why John the Baptist was baptizing, I explained at length in a presentation of Malachi I did a few years ago which is found here:

http://christogenea.org/podcasts/malachi-christogenea-talkshoe-09-30-2011

I never put it in writing, because the program was extemporaneous and I will probably redo it more formally, meaning by writing out the notes, at the end of my Minor Prophets series.

Christ was baptized to fulfill the Levitical law requiring the priests to wash the sacrificial lambs. Therefore John proclaimed "Behold, the Lamb of God ..." See Leviticus chapter 1.

John the Baptist was baptizing to fulfill the Levitical law which concerns the cleansing of the Levitical priests before the Passover sacrifice. See Malachi 3:3 and Exodus chapter 30 from verse 17.

It is all symbolic of the fact that Yahweh God keeps His Own law.

Anyone else John may have baptized is collateral, because the law was nevertheless fulfilled.
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:39 am

Thank-you Brothers.
Joe

Return to New Testament Discussion