This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Cast it from you

Discussions concerning the New Testament

Cast it from you

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:07 pm

Mat 18:7 Woe to Society because of offenses! Indeed it is a necessity for offenses to come, but woe to that man through whom the offense comes!
Mat 18:8 Now if your hand or your foot entrap you, chop it off and cast it from you: it is good for you to enter into life crippled or lame than having two hands or two feet to be cast into the eternal fire!
Mat 18:9 And if your eye entraps you, take it out and cast it from you: it is good for you with one eye to enter into life than having two eyes to be cast into Gehenna for the fire! "

Is He talking about a member of a community, to not talk to someone who tries to bring down a Christian community?
...and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Joe

Re: Cast it from you

Postby Kentucky » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Jesus was talking to His disciples. I think the admonition is directed at us. Later on in verse 15, we see that "talking" is required to resolve an issue in a dispute, which is actually biblical due process.

Mark
Kentucky

Postby Joe » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:14 am

Ok, so we should die to our sins would be the meaning.

I wasn't thinking about a minor dispute, we use to stone people who turned away. But I understand what you are talking about.
...and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Joe

Postby Nayto » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:50 am

I think the meaning is quite broad, as this can have implications for personal life as well. For example, one might not accept a job because of the evil it might propagate. Also it can have corporate implications by casting out of sinful members (as was mentioned).
Nayto

Postby Joe » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:29 am

Ok thanks Nayto. I have a think I have a tendency towards definite meanings.
But my understanding will always be incomplete. God is true.
Joe

Return to New Testament Discussion