This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

II Timothy 2:20

Discussions concerning the New Testament

Re: II Timothy 2:20

Postby Lang » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:45 pm

I'm a bit confused. Vessels of wood and clay for special use are regenerated whites, and those for common use are misguided whites? And then, getting cleansed from what is misguiding you, means that you become of special use and holy again in the eyes of the Father?

Or did I understand everything wrong? lol
"Give a hammer to a white, and he will build civilization;
Give a hammer to an asian, and he will build other hammers;
Give a hammer to an arab, and he will kill his wife;
Give a hammer to a nigger, and he will kill whites;
Give a hammer to a jew, and he will sell it to niggers.
"

J.M.
Lang

Postby Fenwick » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:15 pm

The vessels of wood and clay are nonwhites. The gold and silver vessels are whites, which must be separated or cleansed of the common vessels if they are to be useful for God's purpose.
Fenwick

Postby Lang » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Oh, okay. I had thought that "some are for special purposes and some for common use" was referring to the wood and clay vessels, and "cleanse themselves from the latter" was referring to wood and clay vessels for common use.

But, according to you, "some are for special purposes and some for common use" refers to both golden and wooden vessels, and "the latter" would be referring to "vessels of wood and clay". Okay.

My portuguese Bible has these verses a little bit different.

"But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and clay; some to honor, others to dishonor.
Insomuch that, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he shall be a vessel unto honor, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work."

Reading at first, for some reason, I always think that "some to honor, others to dishonor" is referring to wood and clay vessels, making a division between them. However, in the following verse of the portuguese version, it is said that "if anyone cleanses himself from these things (...)". "These things", in the plural, can't be referring to a special sect of the wooden vessels, as I had thought. It can only be referring to all wooden vessels.
"Give a hammer to a white, and he will build civilization;
Give a hammer to an asian, and he will build other hammers;
Give a hammer to an arab, and he will kill his wife;
Give a hammer to a nigger, and he will kill whites;
Give a hammer to a jew, and he will sell it to niggers.
"

J.M.
Lang

Postby wmfinck » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:05 am

Wow, I know the passage so well, that I did not read the original post well enough. So I feel used, LOL.

What the F***? "some are for special purposes and some for common use"? No wonder this guy is always "learning about CI" and never gets there.

So here is my message to the original poster: I am beginning to think that Kentucky is right about you. The next time you ask a "religious" question here with your inquiry based upon the damned (yeah, that is what it is) NIV translation, I may just as well assume that you are indeed a very subtle troll.

One of the first things one should "learn about CI" is the various problems and agendas which underlie the major Bible "translations".
If a jew is moving his lips, he's lying. If you see a rabbi, there has already been a crime!
wmfinck
Site Admin

Previous

Return to New Testament Discussion