This Forum is now inactive and has been replaced by a new Christogenea Forum. You may browse here but there are no updated threads or new posts since January 1st 2017. Forum members please see THIS NOTICE for information concerning your account at the new forum.

Matthew 5:43-48

Discussions concerning the New Testament

Postby IdentityChristian » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:58 pm

I looked for this topic and couldn't find it addressed here so am asking this question. How does one explain this? When one reads about Israel there is no quarter given to the enemies of Yahweh's people, NONE. So this passage is rather perplexing. Surely He could not have meant we should be helping the Khazars finish us off, but that is what our enemies, Yahweh's enemy, have planned for Israel, WHITE GENOCIDE. I know there are some very knowledgeable scholars here, foremost is Mr Finck.

43Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. 46For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 47And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? 48Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
And he gave them into the hand of the heathen; and they that hated them ruled over them.
Psalms 106:41
IdentityChristian

Re: Matthew 5:43-48

Postby CairinDaithe » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:16 pm

Hmmm... I have wondered this. I decided to look up the same passage in the Ferrar Fenton and instead of "brethren" he translated it as "associates."

43 You have heard it was commanded that you should love your neighbor, and hate your enemy. 44 But I tell you to love your enemies; bless those who curse you; act generously to those who hate you; and pray for those who ill-use and persecute you: 45 then you will become the sons of your Father Who is in heaven; for He raises His sun over both bad and good, and rains upon both just and unjust. 46 For if you should merely be friendly with your friends, what reward have you? Is not the same thing done even by the extortioners? 47 And if you salute your associates only, is that anything to be proud of? For is not that done even by the extortioners? 48 You, however, should be perfect, as your Father in heaven is perfect.

This makes me wonder if the verse is talking about only brethren enemies. I'm by no means a scholar, but I find the translation difference interesting.
CairinDaithe

Postby IdentityChristian » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:20 pm

CairinDaithe wrote:This makes me wonder if the verse is talking about only brethren enemies. I'm by no means a scholar, but I find the translation difference interesting.

That is what I've been thinking as well. I am glad that you posted that so it shows I am not alone in having the same thoughts. I do know that He had a DUAL CODE, one for US one for the OTHER, and this might fit into that category. It is a thorny passage I must say, and there is surely an explanation that will allay the concerns that some might have in reading it.
And he gave them into the hand of the heathen; and they that hated them ruled over them.
IdentityChristian

Postby Kentucky » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:34 pm

There are stipulations elsewhere in Scripture that put this passage in Matthew in context. The context is your personal enemies, not the enemies of God. This idea corresponds to the standards of forgiveness: we forgive those we have personal contact with, we do not forgive those to whom God would not forgive. Most often this admonition is referring to friends and family in which bitter conflicts can arise. Mt. 18 is the due process for reconciling with your perceived "enemies", but even then if after all remedies have been exhausted, your opponent is regarded as a "heathen" and "publican" or as Bill renders it "tax collector" (oh and how our people love a revenuer right? lol).

Mark
Kentucky

Postby CairinDaithe » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:37 am

Excellent explanation, as always. Thank you!
CairinDaithe

Postby IdentityChristian » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:49 pm

Kentucky wrote:Mark

Very sound analysis I would say. I do feel better about that passage with this additional light shone upon it.

As I said in my first post there are many learned students of Scripture here, and I am quite glad of it. :D
IdentityChristian

Postby Nayto » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:04 am

Kentucky wrote:There are stipulations elsewhere in Scripture that put this passage in Matthew in context. The context is your personal enemies, not the enemies of God. This idea corresponds to the standards of forgiveness: we forgive those we have personal contact with, we do not forgive those to whom God would not forgive. Most often this admonition is referring to friends and family in which bitter conflicts can arise. Mt. 18 is the due process for reconciling with your perceived "enemies", but even then if after all remedies have been exhausted, your opponent is regarded as a "heathen" and "publican" or as Bill renders it "tax collector" (oh and how our people love a revenuer right? lol).

Mark

Taking this topic a little further, when is it appropriate to forgive someone? There are two scenarios:

Someone has sinned against our corporate kindred; they are having a sexual relationship with a mongrel. If they are unrepentant then we are obligated to keep this person out of our community. If they repent and stop their foul act, they are welcome back into the community.

Someone has sinned against ourselves specifically; they are cursing us and bearing false witness. At what point do we forgive this person? Do they have to repent first? I have such a situation with one individual who had a crush on my wife and now resents me for marrying her without his permission (LOL - We've been married over a year already). He can't reign his tongue in and even swears when talking to my wife. I've never been unkind to him and always try to make peace, but he just never gets it. As a result, I've cut off all communication until he apologizes, which he of course refuses to do. I just can't forgive this guy, but I'd happily forgive him if he apologized and I'd even allow contact to resume. Have I struck the right balance here? Sadly Paul's protocol of getting a witness, then elders, is not possible.
Nayto

Postby Kentucky » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:29 am

Taking this topic a little further, when is it appropriate to forgive someone?

Forgiveness is a matter of judgment and judgment is the Law of God. The Law of God is about justice and centers on the rights of the victim. Likewise, the Law of God is not completely lacking in mercy. Whether corporate or individual trespasses, just because one has a lawful right does not mean that one must exercise that right. The victim always has the discretion to be merciful, and those who are led by the Spirit are led in a higher way. This does not put away the Law. It merely shows that men have learned to apply it by the mind of God. Therefore, we should not confuse forgiveness with the balance between justice and mercy. When repentance becomes impossible, forgiveness becomes a moot point.

Mark
Kentucky

Return to New Testament Discussion